1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT-VR / CL

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wessman, Feb 29, 2008.

1. wessman

wessman

Jun 30, 2007
    Hi!

Had plenty of trouble with my Eden WT800C and 2x410XLT and paid a lot to get them. Will return them due to the problem. Now thinking of Ampeg SVT-VR or SVT-CL. Which one is better for reggae (bob Marley style) and classic-rock? Are they made in USA or China?

Also which Ampeg cab(s) would be the best for my music and amp (choices are):
    1) 1 pc of Ampeg SVT-810E
    2) 1 pc of Ampeg SVT-810AV
    3) 2 pc of Ampeg 610HLF
    4) 2 pc of Ampeg 410HLF

Many thanks.

BR: reggae man

2. AndyMan

AndyMan Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 17, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    http://myplaceproductionsllc.com/
    Get an VR if it's a USA, if not then a CL. The other option is an SVP-CL Pre and the Classic head, using the pre to drive the Classic's power tubes.

Get the 810, or it's a waste.

3. rxbandit79

rxbandit79

Feb 20, 2008
    Tempe
    I Currrently have the SVT-CL with a SVT-610HLF.

Depending on the tone you want to get, the 610 or 810 are the way to go.

Personally I like the 610 because it is ported and I am able to get a really nice midrange rock sound. the 810's are only $50 more though...
    SVT 610- "for the bass player who demands the best of both worlds—deep, tight bass, with a generous helping of definition and top-end clarity." (from the Ampeg page)

The 610 has the horn/driver (which I dont think the CL or VR support)
    The 810 will ultimately push more air...

When it comes to choosing between the CL and the VR. If I could get the VR, I would... I haven't tried it yet, but from what I have hear and read about it, it seems like a pretty sweet head. The CL's are really nice though...

I say, if you can, try both the 810 and 610 with the CL at GC if you get a chance... the VR's are supposed to be nice, but if you dont want to spend the $, the Classic should be just fine.

With either of these set ups, you will find the tone and sound you are lookign for, you just need to mess around with it. The other main factor that plays here is cost...

4. I would disagree, i'd go with the VR regardless.

Also, look into the berg NV610 or NV215 (or use both). Most people who have compared say the berg cabs beat the ampeg cabs hands down.

If its 10's you want to use, the NV610 would be good (dont think you'd need two tho!).

However, as its reggie/dub, i'd say 15's are probably the way to go!

5. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    I have a VR and a CL. I can get the CL to sound like the VR with something as simple as an MXR eq in the loop.

Same punch and feel too.

6. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    The truth is, there's not a lot of practical differences between the different SVT models. I prefer the VR because it's got two channels and I think that's a more versatile setup. But there are more tonal similarities than differences.

7. +1 to the Bergantino NV 610 or NV215 as far as cabs go. These BEAT the AMPEG cabs-any of 'em IMHO in ALL respects. I've got a NV610 I A/B'd it with a modern SVT810 cab & there was very little comparison. The Berg KILLED IT in every way-was not as heavy, wasn't as hard to manouver, fitted in my car more easily, FAR more clarity, punch, bottom end, top end.........you name it...the NV610 did it better than the SVT810E. 160+ lbs = Ampeg SVT810 98lbs = Bergantino NV610 I HAD a SVT410HLF before the NV610 even the 410 was heavier & harder to move about than the NV610-(the NV215 is the same size & a few lbs lighter IIRC) I'd reccommend getting a sealed cab too-as the SVT810 & the NV610 & NV215 all are. IMHO(as this WHOLE POST IS)- tube amps sound tighter & more responsive with them. remember -all IMO ;-)

8. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    What exactly would you do with two channels?

9. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Run one channel clean and run a Rat pedal in the second so you get an awesome distorto-tone without using two amps.

10. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    must sound amazing. I've always wanted to use a Y cable with my bass like Tim C :)

11. rxbandit79

rxbandit79

Feb 20, 2008
    Tempe
    alright, I posted here about a week ago, and now I'm looking for some direction...

I talked to my bass guy and it looks like I might be in the market for the SVT-VR.
    now, I can upgrade to the VR or I can stick with the SVT-CL.

Im running through a SVT-610HLF and play rock/alternative/folkrock.

any suggestions?

should I make the upgrade or stick with the CL?

12. stick with the CL unless you get a deal you cannot pass up or if you need the two channels. its the cabs though, I was never a big fan of the SVT cabs and i play one now in a shared jam room.. the berg 2X15 cab will make your CL sound like a whole new machine and you WILL fall back in love with it..