1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg SVT VR High/ Low Inputs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by novo, Jan 12, 2012.

1. novo

novo

Feb 20, 2007
    Good Morning all!!

Just a quick question to all those who have this kind of amp..Are the inputs one weaker than the other? ...I mean is there a Low Power Input and a High power input ...

I am noticing that this Left Higher input has much less volume than the one in the Bottom Left..

Also what is the exact use of having one input lower than the other

Regards and Happy New Year!!

2. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    This is normal. The lower powered input is supposedly for active basses with a higher output. Enjoy.

3. never played through a vr, but if its like my old svt, the top inputs are "bright" and the bottom two are "normal". when i would play through the bright inputs on mine, i didnt notice a lack of power, but more of a lack of low end presence and a lot more highs. which would explain why those were called the bright inputs.

4. Sinomis666

Sinomis666

Apr 16, 2011
    I think they may have been designed as guitar inputs as when that style of svt came out it was common pratice to do both, but I could be wrong I'm sure jimmy will jump in & put us right

5. nouroog

nouroog

Jan 14, 2010
    Paris, France
    +1
    If you have a passive bass, plug into the normal input. Active bass, bright input.
    If you aim at the bright input with a passive instrument for its brighter tone, you'll have to compensate for the lower input with a little more volume.

6. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Actually, just checked the manual on mine and it says "the Bright jack enhances the high frequencies of the input signal". However, to my ears it sounds like the pad that you find on many modern amps for use with high output(active) basses. But to put your mind at rest, novo, what you are hearing is perfectly normal - I never use that output on mine unless I use it as an output link to run the two channels together (worth a try BTW).

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, the bright input does cut down on volume, but that's likely because it boosts highs and cuts the mids that give you more perceived volume.

8. novo

novo

Feb 20, 2007
    thanks guys! =)

9. blastjv

blastjv

Jan 8, 2010
    Philly Area
    Jimmy's right. The VR has Bright and Normal, not High and Low inputs for each channel. I, too, jump both channels together with a short patch cable from Bright One to Normal Two and I plug my bass into Normal One. This lets you take advantage of all the knobs, switches and TUBES in channel two (why have half the preamp just sitting there!?!?!?)

-JV