1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg SVT-VR into Presonus Inspire 1394 problems

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by zipflint, Apr 28, 2009.

1. zipflint

zipflint

Sep 25, 2005
    Spartanburg, SC
    I must be doing something stupid. I'm going out of my SVT-VR from the Slave Out. Plugged into the Instrument input (as opposed to the mic/XLR input) on my little Presonus Inspire 1394.
    Even with the gain cranked on the software interface (no knobs on the recording interface itself) I get REALLY low volume. I've tried changing the pre/post and lft/grnd toggles on the back as well. That does effect the amp noise/sound characteristics when I do that, but not the volume.

I've also tried going out from the Transformer Bal. Out from the VR too, with the exact same results. From reading the SVT-VR's manual, this sounds like what I *should* be using. But it's....uhhh....hardly satisfactory. I've messed with the level control on the back panel of the VR too. It goes from REALLY low volume, to none.

If it matters, I'm using Adobe Audition 3.0 to record. The Presonus works great when I run straight into it from my pedals, or if I'm using my active fretless.

Do I just need a DI box between my amp and Presonus Inspire?
    Am I as big of a blockhead as I feel like I might be?
    ::edit::
    I neglected to mention my PC specs:
    Intel E6600 Core2Duo @3Ghz
    4GB DDR2 RAM
    NVidia GeForce GTX260 (if that even matters)
    4 hard disks ranging from 300GB to 1TB....all recently defragged, not using RAID

2. markkoelsch

markkoelsch

Sep 6, 2008
    I am not sure about your specific presonus, but I know that the Firebox had a software patch to increase the volume. I think you had to get it from Presonus support though. I would email them as they tend to have pretty good support.

That being said, some DI's have really low output. I had the same issue with my Trace GP12. I ended up using a DI between the amp and speaker.

3. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    If the volume's fine coming off of the pedal chain, the problem is the amp.

4. zipflint

zipflint

Sep 25, 2005
    Spartanburg, SC
    Well now this is just plain weird. All I did was install the newer drivers from Presonus' site, and I'm golden. No volume problems at all now.
    Solutions like this are almost more frustrating than the problems themselves. But I shouldn't be complaining.
    Thanks for the help gang! I wouldn't have even considered looking for new drivers without the suggestion. I'm even game to flip over to Vista and see what happens if I try recording in Adobe Soundbooth, just for giggles.