1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT-VR issue

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jorundr, Nov 28, 2010.

1. jorundr

jorundr

Jan 12, 2008
    Hi

I bought an Ampeg SVT-VR amplifier from thomann.de earlier this fall (September), Serial number: efxuu70055.
    Initially I'm impressed by the sound and overall quality. However during long rehearsals I've begun to experience what I'd call "erratic" behaviour from the amp.

First major rehearsal:
    After approx. 2 hours of playing it was time for a break so I switched the amp to standby. As I switched it back on the output of channel 1 was almost etirely gone. channel 2 worked as normal. I powered down the amp and let i rest for 10 minutes. When I powered it up again the output of channel 1 was back to normal. I experienced the same problem the next day.

Third major rehearsal
    The amp worked perfectly for one and a half day, approx. 12hours of playing at high volume. As I set it to standby the second day the amp lost output in both channels. When going back from standby there was a cascading "fsshh" sound. Powering the down the amp and on again did not correct the problem.

As I got back from rehearsals i turned the amp back on, it worked like a charm. This time I only tried it at lover volumes (student housing).

I've been careful running the head from grounded outlets only. I have correct impedance on cab (ashdown 414t deep) running proper cables and been careful in moving, warming up and overall usage of the amp. The balance light and bias lights show no problems. Theres been no warning light going from standby into "on".

Any immediate diagnosis? Bad tubes? Any tips appreciated!

2. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i'd be contacting ampeg for an amp that new.

4. mlove

mlove

Jun 12, 2005
    Fredericton
    sound advice

5. jorundr

jorundr

Jan 12, 2008
    Thanks for quick replies guys!

I've been in contact with both Ampeg and retailer. I'm in Norway and a bit short on time as we're playing several gigs around christmas. Getting that Ampeg quickly through customs is a bi*ch. I was considering taking it to service outside of warranty just to get it fixed quick. So i just wanted something to take to the service guy.

Any thoughts on actual error appreciated

6. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    If it isn't a line voltage issue (which is easily measurable) it sounds to me like a bum tube or a solder joint