1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg SVT VR peeking whilst playing the E-String

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by novo, Jul 25, 2012.

1. novo

novo

Feb 20, 2007
    Hi there

I got an Ampeg SVT VR and an American Jazz Bass with Lindy Fralin Pickups.

The bass sounds awesome on this amp except when I play the E-String real hard (By E-String I mean all the notes located on that string no the E in particular ) . It farts and distorts too much. With the other strings its no problem.

Anybody had this problem or know a way how to solve this without reducing the volume?

The cabinet is a 6X10 and I play the amp about 9 o clock bridged

Thanks!

2. Without lowering volume, hmmm?
    I was gonna suggest lowering pup on E string. ??

3. novo

novo

Feb 20, 2007
    hmmm yeah I will try, Hope it will make a diff...thanks :)

4. What are your settings on the amp? How do you have it EQ'd?

5. oerk

oerk

Oct 16, 2009
    Bavaria
    Can you try another bass, preferably a Jazz? Then you'll know if it's the amp or the bass causing the problem.

6. novo

novo

Feb 20, 2007
    for Channel 1
    Treble 11 o clock, Mid 1 o clock, bass 2 o clock

Channel 2 Treble 12 o clock, Bass 12 o clock

7. novo

novo

Feb 20, 2007
    Tried that but it was a Musicman Stingray 5 unf :S...the peaking noise was even on all strings when I hit the bass hard..

8. What 610 cab are you using? Are you sure you're not making the cab fart out?

9. novo

novo

Feb 20, 2007
    CL400 Peavey

Thats Exactly what's happening!..The cab is farting...especially when its a 'C' on the E-String

The cab is Ampeg 610 HLF

10. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Doesn't sound right unless you have an insanely hot active bass; you shouldn't be getting that much breakup through the amp at 9:00 volume.

If your head is working fine, maybe the cab is damaged? It should be able to handle the output just fine.

I'd suggest trouble-shooting wit a different cab first to determine where the problem originates.

11. +1

You would be pretty loud to make that cab fart. Is everything is working order?

12. username1

username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    I would back off the bass on the amp a tad and mabe even back off the neck pickup a little. I find my jazz bass will distort sooner on the E string than my p bass will.