1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg SVT VR Pop

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by collicsws6z28, Oct 11, 2013.

1. collicsws6z28

collicsws6z28

Jan 29, 2007
    Hey guys of been playing my Ampeg SVT VR for couple years & today I am getting a pop randomly any thoughts or ideas? It happens once every couple minutes. Thanks

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    DISCLAIMER: Not a tech, just experienced that before.

Probably a dying pre tube, although it could be a power or driver tube as well. If you have any spares of each kind, take one out at a time and replace it. Or try the chopstick test...LIGHTLY tap each tube while it's on with a wooden dowel or chopstick or similar...for obvious reasons, don't use metal.

3. Jazzbass2010

Jazzbass2010

Dec 14, 2010
    Maybe the first preamp tube . I had one was making weird noises and changed preamp tubes . Are all the power tubes biasing ok ?

4. collicsws6z28

collicsws6z28

Jan 29, 2007
    Just noticed the ground was lifted. Could be that?

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Nah, that will only affect the XLR out. And it only gets rid of ground loop noise, which is more of a hum than a pop.

6. Jazzbass2010

Jazzbass2010

Dec 14, 2010
    It just might be . The only other problem I had with the VR was fan noise made high pitch noise cleaned it and greased it was all fine . Ran mine hard since 2006 .

7. Jazzbass2010

Jazzbass2010

Dec 14, 2010
    Sorry Jimmy only saw your post after I posted .:D

8. collicsws6z28

collicsws6z28

Jan 29, 2007
    Replaced the driver tubes. How do I access the preamp tubes?

9. bassfreakah

bassfreakah

Mar 26, 2011
    Endorsing Artist Ernie ball strings
    I has a svt 2 pro that had a popping tube it ended up being one of the driver tubes. but it could be any of your preamp tubes.

10. Jazzbass2010

Jazzbass2010

Dec 14, 2010
    To get at pre amp four bolt screws from top of head After the bolts remove slide it forward @ Then there is a sheet metal cover with small screws holding cover on .

11. collicsws6z28

collicsws6z28

Jan 29, 2007
    sounds easy. Looking at the front I am sliding forward the top half with the knobs correct?

12. Jazzbass2010

Jazzbass2010

Dec 14, 2010
    Slides out the front . I sometimes remove the grill and have more room to work . The Grill is held by Velcro . I usually pull it forward also . Just install the grille first before putting pre amp back in .

13. collicsws6z28

collicsws6z28

Jan 29, 2007
    Changed the Pre's. Still getting short crisp pop.

14. Jazzbass2010

Jazzbass2010

Dec 14, 2010

How are the power tubes ? Are they biasing ok . I know this might sound crazy have you tried new speaker cables and patch cord .

15. collicsws6z28

collicsws6z28

Jan 29, 2007
    I biased the amp this morning. Both geeen & in balance. I will try cables now.

16. collicsws6z28

collicsws6z28

Jan 29, 2007
    Power tubes are lit. Not sure how else to check them.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Tap them with a light wooden stick while it's turned on, and you can find out if they're microphonic at least. ONLY use wood, though...no metal for obvious reasons. But microphonic tubes will often pop like that as well.

It could also be a capacitor on its way out. And it could also be corrosion in the preamp jacks in back. Frankly, I thought you'd find the culprit in the pre tubes, but if it's not the tubes, that's the next place to check. You'll need a tech to check the caps, though.

18. collicsws6z28

collicsws6z28

Jan 29, 2007
    So it will pop as I touch with wood?

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    It might, or it might not. That's why you do it...to eliminate a microphonic tube from the equation.

20. Have you tried the amp at a different location? Just want to be sure you are not chasing a phantom AC line noise. I have had CFLs and refrigerators cause line noise like this. Even an electric water heater.