1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg svt vr problem!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Radarsonwheels, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Radarsonwheels

Radarsonwheels

Oct 18, 2016
    IMG_5175.JPG howdy!

I've had an SVT – VR for about a year. It's awesome and I LOVE it. I'm playing in a metal band lately and I only bring it out for bigger gigs- no touring or hard handling. I rehurse with a different rig and the tube VR only gets occasional use when I have drummers over my house, so it doesn't have a ton of hours on it either.

The other day I turned it on to rehearse in my climate controlled home rehursal space where it lives and channel one had a little roar that got louder and came back a few times. It was acting funky and glitchy and it seemed sensitive to changes in the volume knob. I switched to channel 2 for the rehearsal and everything was fine.

Today I unplugged the power, pulled the rear grille, and pushed down all the tubes. A few of them seemed to move down a little bit but I didn't undo the clamps or anything. It seems fine now and the volume pot is smooth and clean but I'm still nervous.

Is this regular maintenance or should I get things checked out or what should I be looking for?

Looks like I'll be humping my 100lb head AND my peavey mark III for backup till I trust her again.

Whatever happens, it's still totally worth the trouble- that sound!!!!

Thanks,
    -Radar in Philly

2. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    What you experienced could be caused by the small tubes not being seated, but you would have had the same problem with both preamp channels. Based on what you said about it being funky, it could be a preamp tube or, since the amp sits these days, the volume pot could simply have had some dust in it. Sometimes moving the pot back and forth a few times can clean it, other times it needs some Deoxit applied to properly clean it. Maybe you’ve fixed it.

When you say you removed the grille and pushed the tubes in, was that on the lower chassis? The lower chassis is the power amp. It has small signal tubes but they are all part of the power amp. The preamp tubes are in the upper chassis, where the knobs are. The two channels of the preamp are mixed together and fed to the power amp via a cable that runs between the two chassis. So if channel one didn’t work properly and channel 2 did work, reseating the power amp tubes would not have fixed channel 1.

To gain access to the preamp tubes, you have to remove the four screws on the top and slide the top chassis towards the front of the amp. You will also have to remove the two top back metal corners (if the grille can't get by them) and the back metal grille. There are cables running from the bottom chassis to the top one. Be careful not to pull them too tight. You can get by without unplugging the cables unless you want to slide out the chassis all the way. But this isn’t necessary to just get at the tubes.

Check that the tubes in the top chassis are seated properly. Slide the chassis back and reinstall the four top screws. From the back, check that the cables the link the top and bottom are properly seated. Reassemble the rest of the amp.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  3. Radarsonwheels

Radarsonwheels

Oct 18, 2016
    Beans on toast-

Thank you for the detailed and well informed information! I did indeed only push in the power section. I did not know the preamp was up inside but armed with your knowledge I will make sure they are all well seated.

Cheers!

beans-on-toast likes this.
  4. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    ...BTW very cool grille cloth on your speaker cabinet.

Aqualung60 and Radarsonwheels like this.
  5. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

I have to disagree - however I am old fashioned! :D

LeftyD and Radarsonwheels like this.
  6. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Can I interest you in a grille cloth of a nice cuppa.

32F257E7-4877-4A41-982D-88EEB289771B.jpeg

7. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Nah! I like the centre of attention to be on me and not my speaker cabinet. LOL

8. Ah, Tubes! the thing we all have to admit to "love-hating".

Reseating them is a paramount endeavor. Seems that even if you LOOK at your amp, they sometimes want to migrate out of the sockets, causing everything from static to the ugly roar of "we're gonna make your speakers melt!" noises.

BTW, as some have said- the graphic on your speaker grill is pretty sweet!

I did notice that you had no white piping around grill cloth/frame. Did you remove yours? I hate that piping! Took the staple remover to it the first chance I had (also took the "Classic" badge off the bottom)!

I just want my 810 to say AMPEG and nothing else!

Radarsonwheels likes this.
  9. Radarsonwheels

Radarsonwheels

Oct 18, 2016
    IMG_0608.PNG I'm attaching a pic of my current band Collider (Collider PA) playing a halloween show in tennis gear. You can see the stylized hadron collider graphic on the two guitar 1/2 stacks. I left the fridge home that night. My guitarist is into creating graphics for our shirts and stuff and we used one for my cab. The cab is a particle board classic series that I bought used with road wear, so it's not a vintage silver face one or anything special

The piping is a super tight fit which makes it much harder to remove the grille from it's velcro. I stretched that snake skeleton scrim over the stock black grille fabric so there wasn't room to put it back on with the piping.

On a self deprecating note if I stand in front of my amp you can't see it anyway!

I opened it up and checked the preamp tubes this afternoon- all good and sounds good too. Thanks again!

Radar

Lvjoebass and BasturdBlaster like this.
  10. Radarsonwheels

Radarsonwheels

Oct 18, 2016
    IMG_0609.PNG The drums and bass were thoughtfully backlined by the headliner fyi in case you have a big enough screen to read it.

11. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    With only 12% energy reserves, you won't have much electricity to power the collider.

12. Radarsonwheels

Radarsonwheels

Oct 18, 2016
    Haha Yeah but when I hit a low C through p-bass 1/4 pounders into an SVT full stack there is still a small chance of creating a rip in time and space!

13. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Great scott!!!

I1HrM.jpg

floridagatorfan likes this.
  14. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Okay everyone, you heard it right here! For Christmas, Paul wants all of us to get him a tee shirt with a big huge snake on the front of it! :thumbsup:

15. Sorry to hear about the amp issues, but seeing the pic of your VR makes me realize how much I need one!

16. Bad azz tone

Bad azz tone

Sep 21, 2017
    Michigan
    If my VR ever had anything strange happening, no matter how small, I would immediately call 911. I would suggest taking it to someone knowledgeable and very good at servicing tube amps. Gear wise she's the love of my life. She is just plain BAD AZZ! I HOPE yours gets well soon.

17. Radarsonwheels

Radarsonwheels

Oct 18, 2016
    Well today I cranked it up again- I'm dragging the fridge downtown on sunday to support a small national act at a medium size club. Everything is acting like it should!

beans-on-toast likes this.
  18. Bad azz tone

Bad azz tone

Sep 21, 2017
    Michigan
    Hope all goes well,good luck! :thumbsup:

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I would assume you fixed it. Good job!

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 23, 2021