1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT VR vibrating whilst playing..is this good?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by novo, Jun 27, 2012.

1. novo

novo

Feb 20, 2007
    Good Morning all!

I am noticing my Ampeg SVT VR is vibrating alot during playing. I am setting the volume to 11 o'clock bridged.

Is this normal? Can this be damaging the amp?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Does it vibrate when it's not on top of the cab? If so, I'd say there's something wrong, though I wouldn't have a clue what could cause it vibrating since it doesn't produce any sound on its own without a cab.

3. novo

novo

Feb 20, 2007
    yes yes it does vibrate when its on top of the cab.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well that's a very loud setting, but usually I don't have any problems with vibrations even at loud settings. Maybe go around with a screwdriver and see if anything needs tightening.

5. novo

novo

Feb 20, 2007
    Thanks JimmyM, Heard you're za best!! :)

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Hardly the best, bro...I'm just on here way more than is healthy ;) But thx!

7. What's the cab?

8. Klonk

Klonk

Apr 28, 2011
    Norway
    :D

9. novo

novo

Feb 20, 2007
    The Cab is an Ampeg 6x10 HLF

10. Either ur really loud or cab ain't braced properly :-/
    Foam between amp & cab-easiest. That or sit amp elsewhere

11. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Yes, something vibrating can damage the amp. It is best to find out what is causing the problem.

I would first try to isolate where the vibration is coming from. Don't put the amp on the cab. Is the vibration from the cab or the amp.

Assuming it is coming from the amp, play something that causes the buzzing while someone else works at the amp to isolate where the noise is coming from. Apply pressure in-turn to the front grille frame, different places on the back metal grille, and the handles. Make sure that the power and pre-amp chassis mounting screws and bolts are tight.

The next step involves removing the back grille and checking out the inside of the amp. The most suspect source of noise is the retainer spring assembly that hold the power tubes in place. Sometimes the springs vibrate against the tubes. One solution is to slide a high temperature rubber tubing (sometimes available at hobby stores) over the springs.

12. novo

novo

Feb 20, 2007
    the vibration is coming from the cab...what should I do?

13. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    This ^^^