1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT with Marshall 1960 cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Diego Lopes, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Diego Lopes

Diego Lopes

Jun 13, 2014
    Hi everyone!

First post here but I have been a reader for a long time.

I don´t know if anyone asked this before and if it´s already been asked, please excuse me.

My question is: I currently play a Rick 4003 through a JCM900 + 1960 cab and I get a GREAT tone. But there´s a possibility of getting an Ampeg SVT CL. I´ve cheked their impedances (head +cab) and they match but unfortunetly there´s no chance of putting amp+cab together before buying.

So, is there going to be any issues on this combination? Any mismatch issue on impedance or wattage?

Many thanks for any info or help.

Cheers!
    Diego.

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Depends on the impedance of the cab. If it's 4 ohms or 2 ohms (both of which I doubt, I think they're usually 8 or 16) you'll be fine as far as the impedance matching.

Blowing the speakers is another story. I'm surprised the JCM900 hasn't done it yet, but the SVT is 3 times the wattage.

Diego Lopes likes this.
  3. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Don't most Marshall 1960 cab's have Greenback's in them? I'd imagine a bass head would do very bad things to those speakers unless you're playing very LOW volume... Maybe?

Diego Lopes likes this.
  4. Diego Lopes

Diego Lopes

Jun 13, 2014
    Thanks for the replies, guys.

The impedance on the cab is 4ohms, but I don´t remeber it´s wattage.
    My cab has the celestions G12T75.

My biggest fear is the wattage from the head blowing something up (cab, head, my mind...).

There´s this possibility of getting this used Ampeg or a Marshall Plexi for the same price, but I wouldn´t be able to change cab right now.

Any ideias?

5. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    Personally I wouldn't push more than 50 watts into that cab while playing bass through it. Those speakers are right on the edge of being fried even with the JCM900, let alone an SVT.

Diego Lopes likes this.
  6. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    "Smoke 'em if yah got 'em" :thumbsup:

Rodrigues likes this.
  7. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88

Sep 16, 2013
    Whitby
    As long as it's a 1960A or B model you should be fine. They're the 300w versions with G12-75's. As far as blowing things up goes, at reasonable volumes there should be no worry but start diming things and all bets are off.

Diego Lopes likes this.
  8. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    The 1960 cab has for 16 ohm speakers wired in parallel to give you 4 ohms mono. So with your 75W speakers, the cab's rating would be 300W.

That wouldn't be enough to match with an SVT CL. If you ran the SVT at lower volume levels, yes it would work. Keep in mind that the SVT will put out more than 300W with peaks when pushed into distortion. Your one settings will make a difference if you are boosting the lows.

As a general rule of thumb, I like to match a head with a cab that can handle at least twice the RMS output rating of the amp. So I'd want at least a 600W rating for the cab with a 300W SVT. The SVT810e cabinet is rated at 800W. But ratings are just a starting point. You need to listen while playing for signs that the speakers are being pushed too hard. A 100W amp can push this cab into distortion, imagine what a 300W amp would do to it.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
    Diego Lopes likes this.
  9. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    But guys, G12-75's are GUITAR speakers. Because they're rated for 75W a piece doesn't mean squat when you're playing bass through them. They weren't built to handle the excursion.

10. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Very true. The OP is using the cab now with a 100W head and likes the tone. I imagine that the volume levels are low enough that the speakers are not hitting their limits. A 300W amp would eat them for lunch.

Rodrigues and Diego Lopes like this.
  11. Diego Lopes

Diego Lopes

Jun 13, 2014
    That's some great feedback, guys.

Thanks a lot for your info.

My cab is the 1960A, so probably it's the 300W model.

Unfourtunetly, my JCM is starting to get the weight of the years and that's the reason I thought about retiring it.

So, my next question is: Instead of getting any of this amps, should I get a new cab?

I personally like the sound of those 12" on bass, didn't want to retire this cab. Can I use a 15" with it if the impedances match?

Any thoughts on that?

12. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Get it serviced, it will be like new and be cheaper than buying a new or used SVT.

Getting a new cab (made for bass) would be my choice, along with serving the JCM900. As for using a 1X15, sure you can use one. But to make an informed opinion having more information would get you much better replies.

Diego Lopes likes this.
  13. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    I like 12" speakers as well. I used two Mesa 4-12 cabinets with EVM speakers in them for many years. They were very heavy to move around. I use two EV TL-606 type cabs with 15" speakers now. They work for me but are also heavy. If you want a big cabinet, consider an 810, they work well with a lot of amps.

The JCM900 is a nice amp. Maybe worth fixing. You could also consider an Ampeg reissue V4B 100W amp as a replacement.

Diego Lopes likes this.
  14. Diego Lopes

Diego Lopes

Jun 13, 2014
    Thanks everybody!

I think I'll get my JCM900 serviced first. I like it's tone a lot.

I thought about getting the SVT 'cause it was an offer with a fair price for an used head of it's kind.

The V4B is very hard to find where I live, but it would be a great replacement, since it's a 100W amp as well.

And as for using the 1X15, I tought about coupling it with the 4X12 1960A.

I like that classic 70's bass tone, almost overdriven and with a lot of punch.

Maybe the 300W would too much for my needs right now =)

15. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Or find a second 412. :)

Diego Lopes likes this.
  16. Diego Lopes

Diego Lopes

Jun 13, 2014
    Yup, that was plan B :thumbsup:

Thanks, everybody!

beans-on-toast likes this.