1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT15 vs. Trace 1518

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by air_leech, Sep 1, 2008.

1. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    hey,

I have been GASing for a 15" cab for quite some time and have posted numerous times here about the options my domestic market offers.
    just as I was getting ready to embark on a self built 15" cab project a local store got a MIV Ampeg SVT-15E cab on order and another vendor offers the Trace 1518 cab for roughly the same price.

I know, I should go out and play both but I would have to wait two weeks at best and I want to hear some opinions from anyone who played or owns these two cabs.

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    I found the Trace cab to be more "musical" and dynamic, but it wasn't as loud in my perception.

I have owned both.

What amp are using.

3. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    I'm using a Markbass SA450 and on seldom occasions run an Ampeg SVP Pro through it.

I am after a 60's Rn'B tone rather than a modern hi-fi tone (I should have mentioned that eralier).

4. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    That Ampeg 15 is a no brainer then for the tone you seek out of the two options you have given.

5. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    I thought so but the Ampeg in question is of the new Vietnamese variety.
    do these stand up to the tone and build quality of the MIA SVT-15E cabs?

6. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    I haven't seen the new batch, but the original batches did seem to have some fit and finish issues.

I would say they are safer now, but buy new so you have a warranty.

I did see some of the 3rd or 4th run stuff at my local Ampeg dealer and it is getting better.