Ampeg SVT2 - 2 ohms, 4 ohms, what????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by arther daily, Feb 5, 2001.

1. Hi, I'm sure this Q? has been answered somewhere already, but relly dont have time to search through the hundreds on Ampeg threads... If anyone knows the answer off the top of their head, please help!

I just brought an Ampeg SVT2 amp head, second hand and I'm confused as to what spec cabs I need to run it?

On the back, it says:
    300W at selected impedance - with a switch between 2 and 4 ohms and two 1/4" output jacks.

I have two Trace Elliot cabs on the way (1x15" + 4x10") which I'm planning to use with it, but ideally I just want to use the one cab to start with.

I understand that imepdance is a measure (in ohms) of resistance but I dont know how this shoudl dictate the combination of amp + speakers or what effect it will have on volume or sound quality????

Please advise!
  2. timv

timv Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Chandler, AZ
    The head can operate at 300 watts to either 2 or 4 ohms as you already stated. The switch dictates that. I'm guessing each of the cabinets are 8 ohms so only using one of them would be a 8 ohm load which the amp doesn't have a setting for. You could set the switch to 4 and just use the one cabinet but you will only be getting about half the power out of the head. Some people say you can safely run a tube amp with a higher impedance load but not with a lower. To be absolutely safe you should run it with the load it wants to see so both of your cabinets with the switch set to 4 ohms. Other opinions on the subject will probably be posted and welcomed. Have fun.
  3. cheers.

at a guess i think the cabs will be 8ohms - although i'm sure u can get 4 ohm cabs?
  4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Tim is right. It both of your cabs are 8 ohm's each, the total load is 4 ohm & your safe. If you want to buy a one cab that is 4 ohm you can try an <a href=""><b>Ampeg SVT 410 HLF</b></a> or an <a href=""><b>Ampeg SVT 810 E</b></a>. Click on either to get specs. I actully play through an SVT 2 Pro & SVT 810, & it sound awesome. Not to fun to lug around after a show, thou!!! :) I gotta get a roadie!!!
  5. Well, I've got 2x trace elliot cabs on the way (for a completely bargain price!) a 1x15" and a 4x10".

The cabs I use in the practice room are traces and have 2 inputs, 4 and 8ohms I think??? - I presume that this means I could run:

* 2 cabs at 8ohms, amp at 4ohms
    * 2 cabs at 4ohms, amp at 2ohms (what's the difference between this and the above?)
    * 1 cab at 4ohms, amp at 4ohms

Am I thouroughly confused or spot-on here?
  6. timv

timv Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Chandler, AZ
    You are correct with the numbers but, There is no way that the cabinet could be configured for both 4 ohms and 8 ohms while using the same speaker configuration. If they are biampable cabinets at practice they may have inputs like you said but that would be different speaker combinations within the same cabinet. Example, If it is a cabinet with one 15 and two tens, It might have an input for fullrange at say 4 ohms which would be all speakers and a separate for highs at 8 which would be just the 10's and lows at 8 ohms which would be just the 15. Hope that makes sense.
  7. yes that does make sense. thanks.

I'm gonna have to wait for the cabs...!