Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT2 Pro Voltage

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by blamusic, Mar 7, 2005.

1. blamusic

blamusic

Mar 25, 2004
    Hey all!

I am interested in an SVT2 Pro head but have one problem and that is that I shall be using it in Europe. I know that Eden makes their heads with a simple built in mechanism that allows you to use both 110 and 220 V with one simple adjustment, but does Ampeg have this aswell? Or anything that makes ,,serious surgery" within the head avoidable?

Thanks for your help
    Rob

2. cant you just buy an adapter that cuts the voltage in half?

3. blamusic

blamusic

Mar 25, 2004
    I need the voltage doubled not halved: from 110 US to 220 European.
    I had thought of buying one but was told that with such big amount of power adapters don't work and that they should only be used for appliances such as hairdryers. An adapter worked with a pedal I bought for our guitarist but technicians both in the States and in Europe told me that the head would blow if I try a simple adapter or converter. What adapter do you think would do?

4. Sprudellio

Sprudellio

Oct 16, 2002
    Germany
    Buy the head in europe, it'll have a 220v power unit.

5. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    A US SVT2PRO can be converted by moving some wires inside and changing the fuse. There are two transformers (main power and filaments), so it isn't as simple as with some units.

On the other hand, Ampeg is indeed available in Europe, so that is a simple solution.