1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT210 Port Tubes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lcargs, May 10, 2011.

1. lcargs

lcargs

Apr 3, 2006
    Canada
    I have an Ampeg SVT-210HEN cab. Both cardboard port tubes are missing and I want to replace them. Called Ampeg and they said they don't carry replacements tubes. So I'm going to try to buy them elsewhere. But I need to know the length of the tubes.

So, I'm wondering if someone that owns this cabinet could help me out by measuring the length of the port tubes on their cab. I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
    LC

2. Might seem silly but maybe the tubes are in the cabinet? Also depending on the size you can check out partsexpress.com for speaker building supplies.

Peace
    R

3. doktorfeelgood

doktorfeelgood layin' it down like pavement Supporting Member

Finding out the diameter should be easy, but it's the length and configuration of the tubes that's the tricky part. Ports are usually tuned and it will make a difference. I've seen port tubes in a cab where they're both a different length and one is cut off square at the end inside the cab and the other one is cut at an angle. Maybe you could call Ampeg tech support and ask them.. Won't hurt. Maybe the glue has dried out and they have fallen into the cab... Wouldn't hurt to look first. )-(

4. lcargs

lcargs

Apr 3, 2006
    Canada
    Thanks for the responses and thanks for the link! They sell all kinds of port tubes and they're quite cheap. If I can figure out what the length (and shape) of the tubes is supposed to be, then it should be easy to buy generic ones and cut them to size.

BTW, I poked around the inside of the cab and didn't find the tubes. Maybe I'll look one more time to make sure they're not wedged down under the speakers.

LC

5. prd004

prd004

Dec 3, 2010
    Yeah, the port tubes on my B-100R fell inside too. I'd look again, where else could they go?

6. I have a 210 ampeg cab, and my tubes both fell off. I heard them rolling around in the cab though. i just re-glued them on. If they are not there, that is strange because where would they go to. i remember they were just round tubes, but do not remember how long exactly. Maybe 10"??

7. I had the same thing happen on my SVT 210, I just opened it up and glued them back on, not problems after that. There is no way they could fall out, they are bigger than the port hole. Someone would have had to remove them.

8. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    I will post the port length tonight as I have the same model speaker (with one 10" driver removed for testing).

9. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    If he got it used the previous owner may have pulled them. Stupid move, but the world's full of stupid people, and some of them play bass. :bag:

10. lcargs

lcargs

Apr 3, 2006
    Canada
    Bill - you hit the nail on the head. I bought the cab used about 3 years ago and never thought to look inside. I've been using it paired with a 115. Recently someone pointed out to me that there are supposed to be carboard tubes in the ports.

AlexanderB - Thanks very much for offering to measure the length of the tubes!

11. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    My cab is stock, just bought it from the first owner. The cardboard tubes extend 12 cm (approx. 5") inwards in the cabinet, from the inside of the back wall.

By the way, port area is on the small side for such capable drivers, so if it could be a good idea to fit larger ports to reduce compression and noise. There is enough space inside to accomodate the increased port lenght needed to keep original box tuning frequency.

/Alexander