Ampeg SVT212AV head question.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brentt68, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Brentt68

Brentt68

Jan 9, 2009
    Washington
    I just pulled the trigger on 2 new Ampeg SVT212AV cabs. I curently run a SVT Pro 3 head through them but I want the option for more power. I narrowed my choices for a head so far to a Mesa D800+ or a Darkglass 900. I play hard rock two guitars and a drummer. Looking for a micro head as back up or for more power if needed. I could use some advice on which option would won't work or work best. Thanks

2. plav1959

plav1959

May 7, 2016
    Orlando, FL
    Aren’t the 212AVs 4 ohm and the SVT 3 PRO only rated for a 4 ohm load?

Brentt68 likes this.
  3. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Yes.

The Mesa and DG both support 2 ohms but OP shouldn't be using both cabs with the SVT-3 pro.

Mastermold and Brentt68 like this.
  4. Brentt68

Brentt68

Jan 9, 2009
    Washington
    Yes your right. I would use a single cab for my SVT Pro 3 but the other two heads can handle them if I read the spec’s right. I could be way off though.

5. Brentt68

Brentt68

Jan 9, 2009
    Washington
    Your right. The two cab combo would be used for the other heads. Did I read the Mesa and Darkglass spec wrong? Thanks

6. I know you're looking at micro heads (good ones btw) but an SVT-CL would pair nicely with one or both of those cabs and does 4 or 2 ohms.

Brentt68 likes this.
  7. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    Not only is his thread regarding micro heads, but he also stated that he wanted more power. The SVT3pro is a 450 watt head @ 4 ohms, and its volume output is on the quiet side for that power rating when compared to a lot of other heads in the 350-500 watt range in my experience. He's looking at heads that are 3x as powerful as an SVT CL, and nearly 72+ lbs lighter.

I'm not trying to start an argument, I just don't see how your statement correlates to what he was inquiring about, as the SVT CL would easily pair with nearly any cab in Ampeg's lineup, new or old.

OP, either of those heads (Mesa/Darkglass) would work well with either 1 or 2 Ampeg 212AV's. They are however, voiced considerably different from each other.

There's a lot of questions you need to ask yourself, as your initial post was vague.

Why did you purchase those cabs in particular?
    What tonal options are you looking to achieve?
    What do you like about the SVT3pro, and what do you not like about it?
    In generic terms, do you prefer more bass, midrange, or treble?
    Do you like a tight, articulate tone, or one that's a little more loose and boomy?
    Is the Darkglass overdrive the reason you're interested in that head?
    What pedals do you use?
    What bass/es do you use?
    You said you play with 2 guitarists, have you considered their settings and frequencies and how they interplay with yours?

8. You're not trying to start an argument? Okay.

2behead likes this.
  9. Brentt68

Brentt68

Jan 9, 2009
    Washington
    I know
    I love the old school Glenn Hughes, 70's Rock tone. I am hoping to have flexibility in my head choice for power and tone. The 12's sound amazing and the cabs being lighter and separate make it easier to carry is a huge plus. I just traded my Ampeg B410 HE in to get the 212's. I don't think either are a bad choice. Just looking for input.

Mastermold likes this.