Ampeg SVT215E. Opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Phyrexian, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Hey all,

I've been looking for some information on this Ampeg SVT215E cabinet. There's very little info to be found on this forum about this specific model.

Has anyone played this big bad boy? (Girl?) :)
    What's those holes below the 15" speakers?

thanks in advance.

2. Those holes will be ports, thats about all i can answer

Other than it looks like pretty big box for a 215 (i think they just have it that size so its the same size as the 810
  3. It's got the exact same measurements as a Classic SVT810E.
  4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I've heard that't hey're actually more efficient than their 8x10 counterparts. I can't verify that, though.
  5. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    Yeah... same size as the 8x10, but most 2x15 cabs are quite a bit smaller. their 1x15's don't sound bad, but also I think have a smaller cabinet area than that monster.
  6. No problems with monsters here. Our band's got a big van plus some extra roadies.
  7. Some more opinions, perhaps?
  8. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I used this cab for a while with an Ampeg SVT-4. I picked it up new on clearance for about $500 years ago (but no longer own it). It is very dark sounding. I ended up picking up a 4x10 after a while because I wanted more definition. Basically it does everything a 2x15 should in terms of low end, but also suffers from perceived "slowness" and a degree of mudiness in the higher ranges.

If I were going to use a 2x15 again, I'd probably go with an SWR Big Bertha instead, or old Mesa gear.

It also doubled nicely as a type of couch when put on its side.

Actually, I've enjoyed the mixed up 2 1x15 configuration that I picked up more recently (SWR WM/Mesa Diesel) more than that monster. It was just too dark and low for my taste.
  9. Thanks for the info.

I would only buy a cabinet like this Ampeg 2x15 for usage with another 4x10" or 8x10" cabinet.
  10. exactly I heard they are big heavy and slow! also check the website and pay close attention to the sound it puts out. ampeg stuff doesn't go as low as most bass players would like especially 5-bangers.

a really nice cab I have been looking at is the Bergantino 2X15 which has a 6" (i think) Midrange speaker in it which makes it sound like a fat 4X10..

also I've heard alot of good things about "Basson" stuff.
  11. Thanks, but Bergantino and Basson gear isn't widely available in Europe. Let alone on the second market (I try to buy most of my gear used).
  12. So, you're saying the an Ampeg SVT215E combined with a SVT810E combined could deliver an ultimate tone generator.
  13. 3flowoj

Jan 13, 2005
    Morton IL
    I have been to so many shows over the years I can't remember them all, but I do know this. The best and most amazing tone I have ever heard in my life was Doug Pinick's at a King's X gig, and he was using an ampeg 8-10 and a 2-15. I am talking his stage tone, not PA. Now before everyone freaks out, I know he has a serious amp set up, but those cabs made his sound incredible.
  14. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Just FYI, the SVT-215E uses a cast frame 15 that actually has very wide range flat response up into the low tweeter range, and is quite efficient.

Not like the typical 15" speaker that is often "slow" sounding.

An almost identical speaker has been used in some 2-way PA cabinets, with nice performance.

Before assuming it would be bad/slow/muffled because it has 15s, you might want to try it out and see.

If it sounds "dark", you might want to look at your EQ. You might find the highs are there, waiting for you to ask for them. If you EQ the same as for an 810, I think I could about guarantee mud or dark sound, but it doesn't have to be that way.

But naturally the sound will probably be brighter overall when combined with a cab having 10s.

I think I stayed far enough away from an "ad" here to keep clear of the mods wrath........
    kosmicwizard likes this.
  15. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    The 215 is actually one of my favorite in production Ampeg cabs. It gets a nice vintage vibe, sounds a ton better than their 810s. In fact, the only Ampeg cabs I would consider getting are their 15" loaded cabs. Of course, the Bergantino 215 sounds better to my ears than the Ampeg 215, but it is definately one of the better cabs around if you can find one.