Ampeg SVT3, 4, or 7?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CarmenWilliams, Aug 18, 2018.

1. CarmenWilliams

CarmenWilliams

May 18, 2018
    I've been planning on getting a Mesa M6 Carbine amp forever now. But I have a few Ampeg offers from friends that I might go for. I have never played an Ampeg but can anyone tell me which one is worth the buy? I'm in a 3 piece band and we play Alternative/Hard Rock. I definitely want my sound to fill in the gaps.

SVT 3 - $350
    SVT 4 - $600 obo
    SVT 7 - $400

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    All are good prices. The 7 Pro is the lightest, but unless it was made in the last couple years, reliability is hit and miss. I used to have a 3 Pro and did like it, but I like the 4 Pro best out of all of them.

3. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    I haven’t played the 4 Pro, but I’m totally in love with my 7 Pro, bought almost exactly a year ago. Kicks my 410 and 610 HLF very nicely.

JimmyM likes this.
  4. I own 2 4 pros and love them. The 3 pro is a terrific amp as well. The 4 pro is the most versatile of the 3. Never played a 7 pro, but i hear they sound great too, but like Jimmy said the early ones had issues so check and see when itnwas made before buying.

JimmyM and BasturdBlaster like this.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I do love the sound of that 7 Pro, though, and out of those 3, it's the only one I own. They're all more similar, but to my ears the 7 Pro is just a little less tight, which puts me in the mind of tube amps that are being pushed ever so slightly. Isn't distortion but a slightly different feel. But I just used a rental 4 Pro on a gig last night, and every time I play one, I end up wanting one really bad. I'd get one if I didn't have an embarrassing amount of amps already :D

6. Just bite the bullet and get an svt classic or svt vr and never look back. I need to take my own advice on that too, I want a VR or Blue lIne svt so bad I can't stand it. Lol

cheechi, Geri O and JimmyM like this.
  7. CarmenWilliams

CarmenWilliams

May 18, 2018
    Thanks everyone for the replies! I've heard of some issues with the 4 having the vents on the side. It looks like I'm leaning more towards the 7 at this point. I'll be playing it this week at a gig

8. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I had a 3 Pro and a 7 Pro.
    I like the tone of the Mesa best.

9. CarmenWilliams

CarmenWilliams

May 18, 2018
    With the videos I've watched, I liked Mesa the best too!!

10. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    There has been one in the TB classifieds with a rack bag for something like $550.
    There is also one at GC with a road case for about the same price (when you add shipping).
    I would go with the TB seller as GC is just too risky IMO.

11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
  12. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I have owned or played through every SVT ever.

Other than the 300W all-tube one, the SVT6 Pro is the best by far in my experience. That thing is amazing.

Also, a Mesa Walkabout sounds amazing as well.

The line out on every SVT 3 I ever played through was noisy.

The SVT4 sounds great, but if you're gonna lug that much weight you might as well get the real deal.

13. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    1. 4pro
    2. 7pro
    3. 3pro

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    As long as your rack has an inch or so on either side of the head, maybe an extra space up top for a little insurance, you will be fine with the 4 Pro. But I do really enjoy using that 7 Pro as well. Like I said, not a bad choice in the bunch.