Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT3-Pro... Tube, Solid...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Obsolex, Jun 27, 2003.

1. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    I was reading about the Ampeg SVT3-pro, and it says that it comes in tube, and solid state, but say I ordered it om http://www.musiciansfriend.com , how would I choose which one I get?
    And also, how do you check, replace the tube, j/w?
    thanks
    ||_-soto-_||

2. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    It doesnt come in Tube and Solidstate. It is Tube and Solidstate. The pre-amp is tube and the power amp is solidstate. An amp of that type is called a Hybrid amp.

3. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Oh, awsome, but how do I get to the tube?

4. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
  5. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Should be a simple process of taking the top off and it should be right there. IIRC the SVT pre amp contains 4 12AX7's and 1 12AU7 so they shouldnt be hard to find. Just make sure if you are going to change the tubes you change them with the same type i.e If you remove a 12AX7 make sure you put another 12AX7 in its place. There are exceptions to this rule but i dont really know what they are. The easiest way to aviod trouble is to replace them with the same type. :bassist:

6. jbusbee87

jbusbee87

Jun 23, 2003
    My SVT-III Pro has been a real turd! The Peavey Probass Pre I had killed it. The Ampeg is in the shop again, for the 3rd time. BEWARE! Don't buy this thing if you are looking for a great deal of power; It should have twice the output for what says it has. JB

7. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Well, I gotta defend the ol' girl! My SVT III Pro has paid for itself many times over since I bought it in '94. It's been stone reliable. It does have an annoying trait...the power amp section has a glitch that no one has been able to isolate...that makes it sound like the tweeter's diaphragm is shot. It is only noticeable if you are framming on the strings by yourself. In a band context, It's never noticeable. I know it's there...but as soon as the band kicks, I can't hear it and I am in love with the tone of the SVT III Pro all over again. I'll agree...the 450 watts are 'small ones'...but...with two cabs, unsupported by PA, outdoors on a trailer...I have never hurt for power.
    Bottom line: It's a real nice head.

Kim

8. I owned one for 5 years it was the first ampeg that I owned and bought an 810 shortly after that. Nice sound and never had a problem with it except that it is under powered (could use atleast another 100 watts). The three pre tubes are 12AX7's but you could also use 7025's, ECC83's or 5751's for less gain. The tube driver's for the mosfet power amp are 1-12AX7 and one 12AU7. I would try to find some good USA NOS tubes if it doesn't already come with them. Don't bother with Mullards, Telefunkens, or Amperex Bugle Boys because tubes in solid state amps don't seem to make enough difference in tone to make it worthwhile.

9. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    yeah the preamp tubes are 3 12AX7's, and the Driver tubes are 12AU7's. this amp rocks. i haven't had any issues with it at all. mine is a 94, and i prefer it over the new ones, but maybe thats because i paid 350... but obsolex, this is a real nice amp. I wish i could run it in 4 ohms, but my 8 ohm hartke covers ****ing everything (lows, mids highs) so i have no need for another cab (unfourtunatly) but if its possible, get a 4 ohm cab with it. the 8 has enough power, but its always nice to have a lot of headroom. this amp is rated 450 watts @ 4 ohms, and 275 W @ 8. its amazing. get it.

and all of you other SVT-III Pro owners, what kind of tubes do you have in your 3pro???

I have all Sovtek's, and they are amazing.

-scott

10. Mine used to have GE 12AX7's and a JAN Phillips 12AU7 (6189 or 5814 variant). Heard good things about the Sovtek 12AX7LPS and the Electro Harmonix 12AX7's as well.

11. I know this is old but there are conflicting posts here. How many 12ax7's are there and how many 12u's are there? I thought it was a 4 pre and 1 driver config?

12. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    4 12AX7's for the Pre, one 12AU7 for a driver for the "tube gain" knob. Guys-if you need volume, turn on the Graphic EQ and crank that "+-10DB" slider, the one way at the end. it easily doubles the volume. Mine is on 9-oclock with a 4 ohm load at band practice and about 12 oclock on shows. I couldn't ask for anything more.