1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AMPEG SVT3 PRO vs HARTKE LH500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Raff Z, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Raff Z

Raff Z

Mar 31, 2017
    Basque Country
    Hi everyone,
    After years of playing an Ampeg BA115HP (220W Solidstate) combo, now I'm going for a Stack Amp, with (almost for sure) an Ampeg 410 HLF as a cab (500w, 4ohm). I was thinking (and was nearly convinced) about getting a Hartke LH-500, as it seems it has got loads of power, but now I have come through a second hand Ampeg SVT3-Pro which I prefer tonally but have heard of it's lack of power. I've never had any volume issues with my trusty combo, but I'm afraid of the SVT3-Pro not delivering enough power for my needs, although it seems quite odd that this one will have less power than the combo.

That said, which are the Pro and Cons of the SVT3-Pro comparing it with the Hartke LH-500?
    Thanks in advance!

2. Part-time punk

Part-time punk

Sep 4, 2017
    Spain
    i won't comment on that particular Hartke as i've never laid hands on one of those but let me say this: the SVT3 Pro is only underpowered if you use it wrong - basically if you follow the manual. Just throw it away and follow these simple steps: hook it to a 4ohm cab, crank the gain until the red light always comes up when you hit the strings, pull the rightmost slider in the graphic EQ all the way up and try not to use the Ultra Lo switch when in a band setting. There you go, killer amp with loads of headroom.

Raff Z and kobass like this.
  3. The_Janitor

The_Janitor

Jun 30, 2012
    Madison, Wi
    The LH Series heads are super loud, reliable, inexpensive and CLEAN all the way up. The 3-pro will certainly have more tonal options compared to the limited tone stack of the LH500 and can probably get a bit gritty in the preamp. If loud and clean suits your style, or you want a clean, powerful pedal platform then the LH is a great choice. If you want a more tweakable preamp and more control over the midrange (LH is a fender tone stack, so mid is cut only) then go for the Ampeg.

rickdog and Raff Z like this.
  4. rickdog

rickdog Gold Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2010
    If you're used to the Ampeg tone controls of the BA115, you'll probably feel right at home with the 3PRO preamp. A Fender-style tone stack may take some getting used to.

I have a 3PRO, and like it a lot. The preamp can go from warm, through thick, into a little bit of grit as you turn up the gain (your results may vary, depending on how hot your bass's output is).

A 3PRO should be capable of pushing the 410HLF really well (450W into 4 ohms). If you're thinking of getting a used one, budget the cost of having a tech go through it, in particular check the output stage bias. It needs to be set to spec in order to get full power out, but it takes a tech who knows these amps to do it - the adjustment is super touchy and a smidge too far will very definitely blow up the output transistors.

Raff Z likes this.