1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT3 Pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nick rwtp, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Nick rwtp

Nick rwtp

Feb 26, 2008
    Hi i'm wanting to get an SVT3 pro, got a couple that i'm looking at at the moment but was wanting some advice from people that have owned/played them.
    One is a 2005 model and the other is about 10 yrs old. I've heard that the newer ones don't sound as good as the older models, is there any truth in that? reasons etc?
    Also, is there any particular problems inherent in either older or newer models that I should look out for/get checked out before I buy?

Cheers,
    Nick

2. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Hi, I have one, and I have to admit not trusting Vietnamese Ampeg stuff after hearing about so many people having problems. I would go for the older one every time just because of that. But I haven't heard of any significant changes in the design of that head. I'm sure some of the parts are made in different places than they used to be, but no real design changes to speak of.

3. the 2005 model would AFAIK STILL be a USA model. Only thing I know about is (& this may be the SVT3 not 3PRO) some older models were 350w @4ohms where the 3PRO is 450w @4ohms I had a '04 model 3PRO & I liked it a lot!!! Plenty of volume for almost any occasion(especially if U use he Graphic EQ level-gives about 30% more headroom) & good range of tones.
    I'd go for the '05 model IF IT IS A USA made one!!!! Done less work!! Thats IMO!!!

4. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Yes, you are right that 2005 is USA. Whoops...

You sort of have it right. There was an SVT III which was 350w that came out in 91. The III Pro came out in 93 (I have one from that year) and it's 450w.

5. DLEE

DLEE

May 24, 2006
    Mableton ,Ga.
    I have one from the mid 90's and it rocks! I have yet to come across a situation where it is not loud enough.I personally think it has great tone and punch.It seems to be a bit picky as to what cabs it matches well with.I use it thru an Ampeg 610 and it rips.I tried it with my 810 and I don't get the same result.Weird....

6. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Not really weird. The 610 has a tweeter. Some people like the extra high end you get with one.

7. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    I have a 90's 3 pro and it rocks. It's been a workhorse and it gives me great and reliable tone every time. I must add though that I've also experienced the pickiness with pairing it with certain cabs. It rocked through a Hartke 410 aluminum cone cab with a tweeter, but sounded muddy and muffled through a similar Carvin cab. Right now I'm running it through an SVT 210HE and an SVT 15E and it sounds like heaven.

8. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    I used to own a 90's SVT-III Pro, the one with the blue and red letters. It had fantastic tone, IMO, but the output was pretty weak. If you're running to a PA live, I wouldn't worry about it, but alone this amp really can't hold it's own. My 800RB is much louder; however, I really prefer the III-Pro's tone.

In all, if you don't need gobs of output power, the SVT-III Pro is a great medium-size gig amp and an outstanding recording amp. Ampeg tone at recording volumes.

9. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I've had this SVT-3Pro since the late 90's and it has been 100% reliable, still has the original tubes and has always been plenty loud enough for my needs. It has a host of tone tweeking controls that confuses some people and others just don't understand how it works and what it can do. Reading the manual really does help with this one. I think it can produce great Ampeg tone and I have no plans to replace it anytime soon. It's been and excellent amp for me and money very well spent!

10. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    VERY well put . . .

FWIW, I use 2 SVT3-PROs and am VERY happy with the sound . . . AND the volume

11. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    My experience: a workhorse that gets 90% of the SVT tone out of a lightweight, reliable unit. It growls & punches nicely but it doesn't quite have the blossom that a real SVT has. I would not hesitate to get a used one. Mine only ever had one problem: the transformer's retaining bolt vibrated out during transport and it wrecked shop flying around in there. You may want to check the tightness of yours if/when you get one.