1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT350 problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MusicMan27, Feb 28, 2008.

1. MusicMan27

MusicMan27

Jun 27, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    ampeg SVT 350H head
    ampeg 4x10 cab

So my amp/cab quit on me last night at band practice. it just suddenly made no sound. (glad it wasnt on a gig!) i bought it used and it has worked perfectly for the past 4-5 years.

i tried another bass, other instrument cables, and other cables in the back between the cab and head. i also tried plugging it in another wall socket.

the leds come on and i can get the limit light to respond to the bass, but there is no sound whatsoever. the actual amp felt really hot. i turned it on and off and then it blew the circuit breaker. needless to say, i left it off after that.

Does anyone know what this could be? i am hoping its something as simple as a fuse in the amp.

2. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Nope, not a fuse. If it was the fuse, nothing would come on. It could be a number of things, from a disconnected speaker wire in the cab to a blown something or other in the amp. Have it looked at by a pro.

3. MusicMan27

MusicMan27

Jun 27, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    This has just been sitting in my closet. The cab and cables definitely work because i have been using them with a new amp. Im moving so i decided to open it up. I can either throw it away or try to fix it. Anyone have any ideas?

I took it to a repair place a while back and they just said its messed up and would be expensive to fix - but looking at the screws i dont think they even opened it up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks

Attached Files:

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Have you tried cleaning the effects loop jacks? Sometimes they corrode and cause that. Other than that, probably a tech would be your best bet, although maybe I'd try someone else.

5. MusicMan27

MusicMan27

Jun 27, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I never use the effects loops, but i can try that. Just a qtip and some rubbing alcohol?

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    That's the whole point...if you never use them, sometimes the jacks corrode. And you can just run a cable plug into each jack 10 or 15 times rapidly to see if that helps, and if you have any contact cleaner, spray it in there and then stick the plug into the jacks.

7. It is called fretting, JimmyM is correct here.

8. sowegafly

sowegafly

Mar 25, 2010
    JimmyM usually IS correct!!

9. But he hasn't tried EVERY cab ever made :D

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well, there was a time I wasn't...still muff up from time to time, too...but I'll at least own it when I muff it up. Didn't know it was called "fretting," though ;)

11. Thought you had read that from me before? You didn't ig me for a while did you? :cool:

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Certainly not, Jon! You're one of the most knowledgeable guys on here. And hot, too!

13. MusicMan27

MusicMan27

Jun 27, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Ok, in and out for 2-3 mins, both send and return sockets. They were a little tighter than the others but no corrosion came out on the plug. I wiped the plug with rubbing alcohol several times too.

Hooked eveything up, turned it on and still the same. I get the limit light to come on in response to playing a note but no sound. Volume and gain are up, and i messed with all the knobs and eq.

I did notice it got hot really quick and after about 45 sec the fan came on. I felt it getting really hot in the middle back before i shut it off - about 2 min. I also swapped sockets for the speaker out on the cab and amp trying each combination.

Any other ideas?

14. The heat with no sound output is not a good sign and little you could do unless you are an experienced tech. Sorry for the bad vibe here? Jerrold Tiers could be of help to confirm a major failure (I don't have schematics for those anymore) PM him if he doesn't show up soon. :meh:

15. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Find a good, qualified amp technician, not an electronics repair shop. Someone who specializes in musical equipment repair. Take it in and bite the bullet. If the cost is too high, you're done, but at least you'll know what's up.

16. MusicMan27

MusicMan27

Jun 27, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    well I finally took this in for an estimate. my options:

1. pay $325 for full repair (tried to talk them down but no success. parts $105, labor $200, tax $20)
    2. pay $75 for their assessment and get it back still unworking
    3. leave it at the shop and pay $0

since i already replaced this with an eden wt550, i'm having trouble justifying option #1 since i'd sell it. option #2 seems useless. anyone have any input/advice before i default to option #3?

17. #2 and sell it as "in need or repair/spare parts". Provide the diagnosis to the buyer so there is no question you are selling a non-working unit. Some tech or tinkerer might pay for the challenge/project.

18. hodgy

hodgy

May 5, 2004
    Bothell, WA
    Customer Support- Ampeg/ Line 6
    I could fix it for probably less than $10 in parts if you #3 it in my shop. If I had a shop.

19. MusicMan27

MusicMan27

Jun 27, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Just ended up just leaving it there. Hopefully they find someone who can fix and use it. Thanks for all the input everyone.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014