Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ampeg svt3pro loud enough?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thrashermatt, Mar 13, 2006.

1. thrashermatt

thrashermatt

Jan 26, 2006
    western mass
    i'm currently looking to upgrade my current ampeg svt350h, and i've been looking at the svt3pro. This rates at 270 watts at 8 ohms and 450 at 4. how much of a difference will this be compared to the svt350h (350 into 4 ohms and 200 into 8)

2. bstringrandy

bstringrandy Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    I have never had a problem with an SVT-3PRO going into a 4 ohm SVT410HLF cabinet. A lot depends on your individual situation, music genre, PA support, other musicians, etc. I'm currently in a 5 piece rock cover group and usually have PA support of a Mackie 2600 going into 2-18 subs....

Randy

3. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    One big difference between the two is that the SVT-3PRO uses three tubes in it's preamp, whereas the H models are all SS.

I'd much rather have a 450 watt amp with a killer tube preamp, than a straight 350 watt SS. 100 watts won't make much difference though, unless we were talking about a true tube amp (not just a tube pre-amp). You can drive a tube amp harder (and in fact, they sound better driven hard) than the SS amp which, when driven hard, might clip.

Can you try them out side by side?

4. thrashermatt

thrashermatt

Jan 26, 2006
    western mass
    i might have to go to the local store and check if they have one...i'm basically just looking for a hybrid (tube preamp) thats at least 400 watts min, preferably ampeg... my search continues

5. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    Are you asking if it will be a lot louder than the 350H? The extra 100 watts will only be about 1db louder. The rule is Double the wattage = 3 db gain.

But if you are asking if the 3 pro in general is loud, it is. Anyone who says it is underpowered did not have it dialed in right. Sorry if this pisses anyone off, but that amp is plenty loud if you eq it right and stay away from the ultra low button.

But I still recommend the SVP CL/power amp route over a 3 pro. You have the tube pre and you can choose a power amp to meet your needs. That setup should be close to the price of a 3 pro too.

6. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Mudsock,Ohio
    I looked at one last week and wasn't too impressed when I ran it through a (8 ohm)410he. It was a compleatly different story when I ran it through a (4ohm)810. Killer! That sucker rattled everything in the store.
    It sold me.

7. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

It's even better than that. There's 2 driver tubes as well for a total of five.

In terms of power though the SVT III Pro is probably only about 1-2 db louder, that's all.

8. 4runner

4runner WARNING!"WALL OF DOOM" does "exceed" 140 decibels!

Feb 11, 2006
    Hackensack NJ,
    Hey thrashermatt, I don't mean to burst your bubble, but even if you "Doubled the power" of your amp, let's say from 350 Watts to 700 Watts, it wouldn't sound twice as loud, and thats a whole 3 DB. your only increasing the power output by about 100 Watts; which is only about 1 DB, and 3 decibels is said to be the smallest amount of SPL change percieveable by the human ear. What you might notice, is a little cleaner sound because of the extra head room. I use to own the SVT 3 pro, and it was no louder than my previous amp head, which was an SWR Basic 350, rated for 350 Watts @ 4 ohms. I wasted my hard earned money to Learn that lesson. :bassist:

9. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I have used the 3-Pro live in one situation when it was backline at a fundraiser. It sounded fairly good, but it was definately not very loud. We didn't have any PA, and running the 3-Pro through a Gol III cab left no free headroom.

10. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    I used a SVT-III pro for a while through a Goliath Sr cab. I definately found it underpowered/not loud enough. To be fair though, I left the ultra low button in (sounds right to me) and the band I was in then was horribly horribly loud.

I've since switched to a SVP-Pro pre and power set up. It's lighter, louder, more versatile (stereo option now) and am pretty happy with it.

11. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    One major difference I found when using Ampeg gear is the boomy lows you can easily get. Since deep lows eat up tons of power, you have to actively watch out for having those 'invisible frequencies' absorbing all your wattage.

That's why I really like filters or an EQ to reduce 30hz.

12. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    I played a gig two weeks ago with a SVT3 and a Ampeg 410. The sound was ok, but there was not much power at all in 8 ohms. This amp seems either underpowered or overpriced to me.

13. timmers

timmers

Mar 1, 2006
    Washington, DC
    I've used an SVT 3-Pro on and off for about 4 years now, & I've yet to run into a lack-of-volume/headroom problem. My usual setup is '75 Fender J --> SansAmp DI --> SVT III --> Ampeg 410HLF (which is a 4 ohm cab), and that setup has more than enough oomph to hang with drums, keys, guitar (50W half stack) & vocals in a rehearsal setting; I've also found it's been fine at bigger gigs with major sound reinforcement, & haven't needed much in the way of floor monitors/wedges, etc., given that I get enough volume out of the amp to hear things just fine. Hope that helps.

14. I have one.

The 350H is said by many people to be a quite 350 watts.

I assume the 450 is a "true" 450 watts because it's damn expensive.

I can cut through a guitarist and drummer using "5"

15. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    thrashermatt

Please allow me to reply to some of these earlier posts as for some reason I have chosen to be the self proclaimed "defender of the 3 pro" this morning

Set flat, I'd agree

Or consider that the 3 pro and (I assume) 410HE is not a very good stand alone setup. #1 the amp is running at 8 ohms, so theres less power & balls #2 the 410HE is not the best stand alone cab. i am pretty sure that the 8 ohm Ampeg cabs were not intended to be used as stand alone. I have used my 410HE stand alone and gotten a nice tone, but it has limited low end, however paired with a 15E, its a monster sounding rig when used with the 3 pro IME. #3 its also in how you dial the amp in. I have found its easy to get a good tone quickly with the 3 pro, but if you want to crank it and keep the tone, you need to make small eq adjustments to get to the sweet spot.

I would wager that the ultra low- mid suck- button was engaged, in which case you would have a tough time carrying a room without PA support.

Are you talking about Ampeg Gear in general? I dont have this problem and I have used & owned a lot of Ampegs. but if one were always using the ultra low button, I would agree with this statement.

The ultra low is a "quick fix" to acheive that mid scooped type tone. It sounds pretty good at low volumes, but it is the death of that amp when you crank it. You can get the exact type of tone without sacrificing ALL of the mids and with way more control over the lows by using the onboard graphic EQ & the other tone controls instead of the ultra low. IME, it takes a little time to find the sweet spot between volume and tone with the 3 pro. I agree that the preamp/poweramp setup is more versitile, I suggested an SVP CL earlier, my personal fav.

BINGO!

IMO the 3 pro is a really good amp that gets a bad rap for the reasons stated above. But I dont even own my 3 pro anymore because when it comes to tone, hands down the SVP CL's tone is better than the 3 pro IMO, no matter how you eq the 3pro or which buttons you push.

16. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've owned the SVT-IIIPRO. I like it. I think it's really loud especially it you EQ it correctly, as stated above.

Personally, I think the SVT-350 head sound better. In 2 rehearsal studios I play at. one had an SVT3PRO w/SVT-810 and the toehr has an SVT-350 w/SVT-410HLF and I can get reallllllyyyyyy loud with either and I'm always asked to turn down. I don't a;lways turn down, though.

17. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    I played through an SVT-IIIPro through an 8x10 once, and I'll agree that it was hard to get enough volume. The gain and master were both around 3 o'clock. It did sound good though.

My GK400RBIII, at around 150 watts in an 8 ohm 4x10 seemed to be able to get more volume...

Regardless of whether it can be EQed to cut through, etc, the fact is that for the money that they charge for these, they don't have a lot of oomph.

18. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    Seriously, you just admittedly used the amp only one time. My 3 pro didnt just "cut through", I could bury the drums with my it while maintaining a great tone... and we play LOUD. The fact is I could say that i have used a GK400RBIII and the tone sucked, but that would not be a fair statement to the amp since I spent all of one gig with it.

19. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Yes, I used it once. I never said it was a crappy amp, I'm just saying that any amp that sells for 900 dollars new *should* be able to have adequate volume through an 8x10 with the eq close to flat and all volumes up 75%. I liked the head, I just wish it had more volume for the price.

However, I like my 400RBIII more because it gets me a good tone and cost half the price. And I've also never had to eq more than a hair or turn up past 1 o'clock.

20. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    My point is this. although your initial experience with the 3 pro is typical, you dont have enough experience with the amp to state the "fact" its overpriced and not loud enough. Maybe the 3 pro isn't so loud eq'd flat. I would not know because I never used it that way. If you want to run your amp flat, the 3 may not be the right choice, but it is very loud when it is dialed in right. If you had said "i used it once and it didnt seem loud enough" i'd refer you to what i have been saying. For certain its not the easiest amp to dial in, it takes time to find the sweet spot between volume & tone. But I can tell you from experience playing in a loud band that the amp has plenty of power. FYI, did you know that the last slider on the graphic eq is actually a level control and if you boost it produces a big volume gain? If I had one gripe about the 3 pro, it would be the ultra low button. IMO if that option was removed, most of the "underpowered" complaints would dissapear.