Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT3pro or Mesa Big Block 750

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Johnebass, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Johnebass

Johnebass

Jan 2, 2005
    Yo, :help: I am looking to upgrade to either an SVT3pro or Mesa BB750..............anyone got any comments. I have 2 x 8 Ohm cabs = 4 Ohms so I know I will only get about 500 Watts out of the BB750 which is rated at 750 Watts @ 2 Ohms, but this should be plenty as I'm presently using an SWR SM500 which is adequate.
    I am really after TONE and probably simplicity, the SM500 has too many knobs.................more to fiddle with.
    At the moment I am leaning toward the BB750........has anyone out there tried or owned one?
    Please enlighten me

2. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I'm a recent convert to the Mesa camp, but I have honestly never been pleased with the Ampeg tone. My vote definitely goes to the BB750. I would have suggested the M-Pulse 600, but you said that you wanted simplicity, and the BB750 has it in boat-loads, PLUS overdrive!

Also, the 500 watts (thereabouts) that you'll get from the 750 when running at 4 ohms will be plenty loud, and its been my ascertation (as well as that of others) that Mesa/Boogie is very honest with the way they rate their amplifiers. Ampeg....well, let's just say I'm not a fan and we'll live it at that.

3. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I'd go with the Mesa simply because of the numerous complains that the SVT is such a quiet amp. But I love the Ampeg tone and the Mesa tone so you can't go wrong either way, I started on an Ampeg BA-115 and went GK, then Peavey and now Mesa... the only amp I don't still own though is that Ampeg. But not for lack of love, just money :p But I agree with Silky.

4. zcwilkes

zcwilkes Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Barboursville, WV
    I'd go with the Mesa too. Simple layout and good tone. I'm a Trace guy but I think that my next amp purchase will either be a M-pulse 600 or a BB750.

5. jamesr

jamesr

Feb 23, 2005
    PA
    I never played on a Mesa Head.

But with the Ampeg svt-pro 3 you don't have to look far to find people with reliability issues. Just search some forums, or read some Harmony central reviews. Plus they are very heavy, and they start losing their tone when you turn them up. My friend's svt-pro 3 sounds great when we jam at his house, but on stage at higher volumes, it becomes muddy.

6. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Mesa Boogie doesn't think enough of their prospective customers to put the price list on the website. That soured me on Mesa.

7. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    I got rid of an SVT Pro 3 for a Mesa Walkabout and have been VERY pleased. Go MESA!!! :bassist:

8. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    You say you want TONE and SIMPLICITY into two 8ohm cabs?

Have you considered an Ashdown ABM 500?

That would give you 575 watts at 4ohms and now costs about $400 less then the big block...

I would A, B, C all three if you have the chance...

9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I'd go with the Mesa! I have the SVT3Pro, and it's just not that loud of a head.

10. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    The 3Pro does deliver a great sound, but it doesnt have the volume that you probably need to just have it be "your head". Personally, I'd go with the Mesa M-Pulse 600... partially because you could get a little bit more power from it, and the BB750 has had that horror story (or rumor) floating around about it burning up when you drive it at 2ohms.

11. usiel

usiel

Mar 28, 2003
    Bass 400+ all the way ;-). So what its heavy as sin!

12. Johnebass

Johnebass

Jan 2, 2005
    Thanx all,
    Tried the SVT3pro earlier today and whilst it had a good tone it lacked power and tone together. I also tried the Mesa walkabout Scout 1 x 15" and it really rocked, really powerfull and full of tone.
    looks like I'm gonna have to go for the BB750 or at least the M-pulse 600......decisions, decisions!! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

13. niomosy

niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    You can walk into one of their stores and get the price sheet, however.

The thing that gets me is that they don't want their dealers selling over the net :rolleyes: That and to get any useful information, you seem to need to go through the manual of whatever amp you're interested in.

14. Just a minor correction; I believe the Big Block 750 puts out 575 W @ 4 ohms. Based on what I've read, I would be leaning towards the Mesa; I hear their tone is considered much warmer than the Ampeg's. Right now I'm trying to decide between the M-Pulse 600 and the Big Block 750. I want power, but I don't want to sacrifice the controls! AHHHHHH!

Peace.

15. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd go with the M-Pulse 600. If you were concerned with simplicity, the 5-Band Semi Parametric can be switched on or off and changed by footswitch. So it's either Bass Mid Treble or Bass Mid Treble and the 5-Band with a little more flexibility.

16. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    SVT-3 Pro's are really quite.

I'm with Silky Smoove. Don't rule out the 600 pulse.. If your going for simplicity, heck, then don't use the paramatic EQ and just have bass/mid/treble. The 600 has a slight o/d when you boost the gain, nice sounding IMO.

The BB750 will give you a beefier sort of sound, the 600 is more hi-fi (I actually found the 750 was too beefy/bassy/full at times and found myself turning bass down a fair bit.

Or... if you don't mind shelling a few more bucks, go for a Bass 400+ :)

17. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I don't know about your experience but I've found my M-Pulse 600 to have more then a 'slight o/d' with the gain past 3. My Ray + M-Pulse = very very very beef o/d. I love it sometimes, hate it other, so I'm constantly switching gain outputs heh.

One of the nice features about the M-Pulse 600 is the solo channel, it can act as a mute switch for you onstage or use it for that time that your metal band finally let you play something.

The BB750 looks to be more of a rock metal head to me.

Either way you're going with Mesa....you can't go wrong.

18. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    About the MPulse600:

They don't have SpeakOn outputs or a tuner out, right?

I hope that they add these on future models...

19. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Tuner out is there. There was talk about adding speakons to the 600, I don't know how that went.

20. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    I currently own an SVT-3 Pro (with Ampeg 6x10" cab), and have previously owned a Bass 400+. There's something about the SVT sound that does it for me, over and above the Mesa. The Mesa was good, but was huge, heavy, expensive to maintain and wasn't all that reliable (I've had no problems with the SVT yet). I've never found it to be too quiet (I play with two guitarists, one with a Mesa Dual Rectifier and the other with a Marshall JCM2000, and a very loud drummer... and I can overpower all of them quite easily!) and the natural compression you get suits the way I play. Loads of bottom end as well.

That's by me, for me though. Maybe the Mesa stuff will suit you better.

Russ :bassist: