1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT3pro to Ampeg SVT4pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by blackba, Mar 17, 2010.

1. blackba

blackba

Sep 7, 2008
    Michigan, USA
    I currently have an Ampeg SVT3pro and it has been a great amp for me. It is enough power. The only issue with the SVT3pro is the 8 or 4ohm output. I have a 4ohm Ampeg BXT210M and a 4ohm SVT410HLF. I bought these 2 cabs to use the 210 for smaller gigs/grab and go situations and the 410 for larger stuff. I would like to run both though at home. To do that right now I am using an Crown K1 power amp and running one cab per side.

I found a used SVT4pro (online) for $700 plus shipping and wondering if it is worth changing from the SVT3pro. I like the built in crossover of the SVT4pro and would like the built in compressor, but I read it was not very good.

Is it worth making the switch?

2. shadow_FIX

shadow_FIX

Feb 23, 2010
    The 4 PRO is a great amp. It would definitely be able to do what you want it to.

My only complaints with it are the built-in compressor (like you noted) is not very good...only one parameter of compression. Also the DI is noisy and has caused problems for me before...recording out of it is not fun either. Every time I've brought it for a recording we've ended up going direct because the signal wasn't very clean. In live situations it sounds GREAT but again, noisy DI's annoyed me.

Personally I think the 4 PRO sounds much better than the 3 PRO, but then again I've only played on the 3 PRO once or twice.

3. blackba

blackba

Sep 7, 2008
    Michigan, USA
    Thanks for the reply shadow_FIX. Interesting on the noisy DI. I assume the DI is similar on the SVT3pro. But I haven't used the DI that much on my 3pro. I do have a great diamond bass comp, so the poor comp is not a big deal.

Another concern I have about the 4 pro is with racking it up. I know it needs some side ventilation, which I don't currently have in my SKB 6 space rack. I am wondering if just a fan in the back of the rack would help.

What specifically do you like better on the SVT4pro over the SVT3pro? Does it have more punch, more authority?

I use a Fender MIJ Geddy Lee Jazz Bass for reference....

4. wetzelman1

wetzelman1

Feb 12, 2009
    I just tried out these at GC the other day. If you like the 3 pro, the 6 pro is just double wattage of the 3. I'd also check out the 7 pro. I was pretty sure I was gonna get a 4pro but ended up liking the tone of the 3 and the 7 better than the 4. The 4 seems to be really clean, too clean for my tastes. You can get a multitude of tones out of it, but I couldn't really seem to get a good drive from it.

5. blackba

blackba

Sep 7, 2008
    Michigan, USA
    The SVT6pro and SVT7pro have the same issue as my SVT3pro, they only go down to a 4ohm load. Having 2 4ohm cabs, this just doesn't work. The main reason I was interested in the SVT4pro is to run my 2 cabs at one time without needing my Crown K1 power amp. I also liked the idea of the onboard crossover. The SVT3pro has always had enough power for me, I just wish it handled both cabs. Since I saw this SVT4pro come up, I thought it might be time for a change.

Its interesting that you thought the SVT4pro was too clean.

I am also wondering if the noisy DI on the SVT4pro Shadow_FIX played, may have been from a noisy preamp tube.

6. DrSmaggs

DrSmaggs

Oct 15, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Endorsing Artist:
    I made the switch from a SVT3 Pro to a 4 Pro years ago.

You can't go wrong. Both amplifiers get hype for a good reason. Plenty of headroom with the 4 Pro and you can go down to 2 ohms.

My dream rig is to have a second SVT810E or two of the Pro series 4x10s which would also take me down to 2 ohms.

DO IT DO IT DO IT. You won't have any regrets!

7. Broadbent

Broadbent

Mar 28, 2007
    The guitar player in my band(a hobby bass player) bought a 3 pro and I liked it so much that I bought the 4 pro(of course I had to one up him). playing both of these amps back to back is great, I've also ran them stereo before. I would upgrade to the 4 with these two warnings:

yes the DI on it sucks. don't use it.

You don't get a tube gain knob on the 4 which was a great feature of the 3.

I'd recommend getting the 4 and then adding a sansamp RBI. You'll get a great DI, and if you want to add some tube gain, you can.

8. blackba

blackba

Sep 7, 2008
    Michigan, USA
    I think I would miss the tube gain, thanks for reminding me of that. Any idea why the DI on the 4pro sucks? Is the DI on the 3pro better?

9. Just one club I play at using the 3 pro I get a loud hum from the D.I. that I don't get when I use my Trace Elliot head.
    Works ok everywhere else. Odd one.

10. I've used the DI on a 4PRO for recording in studio before, was clean and quiet - not a U5 by any standards, but worked perfectly fine for the purpose.

only thing I find about the 4PRO is that it runs much better IMO when running in mono Bridge mode - which you won't be able to do with both cabs... I find it underwhelming volume wise when running in stereo mode but maybe thats just me...

11. blackba

blackba

Sep 7, 2008
    Michigan, USA
    I wonder if running it through a passive direct box would help if I run into that. I have not run my DI out into the PA much as most of the time the PA has been undersized.

I do have an nice EV mic if I need to mic it up.

12. blackba

blackba

Sep 7, 2008
    Michigan, USA
    When I recorded with my SVT3pro, I just used my EV N/D868 with a Shure SM57 and mixed to taste.

Reading the HC reviews on the 4pro, it seems a good number of people thought the 4pro was underwhelming volume wise compared to its power specs. I read a few similar comments on the 3pro, but my 3pro has always provided me with enough power. I have read that the power specs on the Ampegs are bloated compared to a GK amp for example.

I think I am going to keep my 3pro, I don't see myself gaining much by going to the 4pro. Thanks for all the comments, you guys were very helpful.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 24, 2020