1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT3Pro vs. Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BullHorn, Oct 4, 2010.

1. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    I don't have access to either, but I could get one of them from abroad. One is cheaper, lighter and louder.

Is there a reason to not get the Genz Benz over the Ampeg?

I'm currently on a Little Mark II and I like it's tone, to give you guys a guideline (Although find that cranking the low-mids sounds too wonky with a Jazz bass).

2. The Ampeg 3 Pro has a distinctive sound which - if you like it - you're not going to get with the Shuttle.

Get the Shuttle.

3. The ampeg indeed has a sound of its own. (personally, not my sound) However, there is a reason why Ampeg seems to be one of the biggest name in bass amps.

I would go with the Genz. Louder, lighter, cheaper. Sounds great. Look up some vids on youtube! I'm about to receive my shuttle 9.0 in the mail :D

4. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    In my case I just went from the Ampeg SvT4 to the Benz1200 and the Genz winz by far. Using the 810E cab ---- its a step up from the 4pro.....When I got the Ampeg new la:cool:st year I asked the basic hook-up questions to the 810E....It took Ampeg 2 weeks to get back to me. On the other side Genz replied to my email the next morning and its was from the President of the company.....blew me away...Don't get me wrong, I have mostly Ampeg stuff.....but in the future I'll consider Genz ..................................

5. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    OK I think I'll go with the Shuttle... Do you guys think a 4x10+4x10 Trace Elliot stack would fit it? ;)

6. bamabass

bamabass

May 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    as long as they are both 8ohm cabs....:bassist:

7. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    They are, the question is whether they sound good together... I guess nobody knows that because Trace Elliot is rare.

8. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    Director of Commercial Sales - Neural DSP
    There is no comparison. That's like comparing an 04 Chevy with a bad cylinder to a 2011 BMW.

The SVTIII-Pro is the least loved Ampeg not because it sounds bad, but because it has an extremely anemic power section... although its rated at 450 watts at 4ohms, you'd be hard pressed to find a 300 watt amp from any brand that didnt sound and feel much louder than the 3pro. Its sounds great, just weak as all get out.

The 9.0 is loud like you might break a freaking rib loud, sounds fantastic, and weighs less than your bass. This is an amp that gets nothing but frothy, slack-jawed love on this and other forums... bordering on worship.

That being said, althought the 9.0 can cop a lot of feels, it cannot sound like the Ampeg. The Ampeg cannot sound like anything other than an Ampeg.

To my ears the GB stuff is very modern and crisp, but cuts through guitar in my metal band like diamond saw. I also use an Ampeg rig.

9. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    That's exactly what people said about MarkBass 2 years ago. I don't see any MarkBass love anymore... ;)

I've already decided not to go for the Ampeg because it will be downgrading from my MarkBass anyway. Now I'm thinking of cabs, probably 4x10+4x10 because I'm young and don't mind lugging around a fridge. :)

10. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    Director of Commercial Sales - Neural DSP
    That's because there's Genz Benz!!

STLMX 12.0 + two GB UB410 = the end of all life on earth!!!

11. i debate at times whether to trade in my ampeg svt3pro for one of those microheads. I do like the tone outta it, and i have never had trouble being heard with it, most ive gone with the master and gain was around 1 oclockish but that was with a crappy pickup mim 70s reissue jazz, once i change the pickups master and gain went back to 11ish to 12 oclockish. With my active bass's i only have to run it around 9 oclock 10 oclock. There is a reason why ampeg is one of the most widely used bass gear, it works for many people great tone and its relatively affordable.

12. duff84 - if it works for ya- why change???

I thought the 3 PRO was relatively 'underpowered' too until I ignored the 'clip light' & maxed the Graphic EQ's volume level. Actually got serious volume & some nice tubey grind when I wanted it. The Headroom on the 3PRO went from being 'only just' to WAY more than I ever would need.

& I'm one who still LOVES his Mark Bass LMII. & I DID get rid of my 3 PRO for an SVTII

13. Jawbone

Jawbone

Jul 15, 2010
    Humboldt County
    I tried the GB Shuttle 3, 6 & 9, thinking I was upgrading along the way. Each has its own unique sound and charateristic. Did this mostly for the bang wagon syndrome. In the end I sold all of them and went back to Ampeg. Ampeg is Bass! And I can still carry my gear so don't need the light weight of the class ds.

14. naturalkinds

naturalkinds

Jan 22, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    I dig the Shuttle series a lot. But what aren't you getting out of the LMII? Sounds like you might be a contender for a totally different kind of amp, like a Walkabout or Aguilar.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    markbass love really hasn't soured. i just think they're getting more competition and possibly a little backlash over repair costs out of warranty. plus their cabs are pretty polarizing, but they always have been.