Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT3Pro w/ SVT410HE - or- Carvin RL1015

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jazzbo, Sep 13, 2000.

1. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I know there's been a lot of stuff posted about Ampeg already, so I'm starting to get a pretty good idea, but I'll ask anyway:

Any opinions on the Carvin RL1015 versus an Ampeg SVT3Pro, with probably a SVT410HE or PR410HLF?

If it matters, the basses are a Ibanez GRS with jazz pickups and Carvin LB75 fretless with HB bridge humbuckers and coil splitter.

Also, if you could recommend a better Ampeg head than the SVT3pro, please feel free. I'll take other suggestions, Eden, Mesa Boogie, etc, but they seem more expensive.

Thanks.

2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Hi. First I would suggest that you trade that Ibanez GSR200 for something better. (Unless you have it because you love it)
    I currently have an Ampeg 410HE, It has great Low end, and the SVTPRO 3 is really nice.
    But lets see, You want to be a "Gear Snob" and show everyone that you use ampeg? Or want to have a LOUD and TOne-wyse amp?
    I think that if for the same dough , you get 1000W, a 410+Horn cab, and a 1x15 Cab Full stack. I would go with the Carvin.
    I wanted to replace my current Hartke Amp+ampeg cab rig, for the Carvin RL1015. I have heard that the Carvin is truly versatile and that you can easily tweak an ampeg sound.
    And, even if you get an Ampeg be sure to get the SVT115BA Speker enclosure... those lows are a MUST.

3. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    My first inclination regarding my Ibanez is to agree, but I actually love it! Sure, it's definitely not the best bass in the world, but for some reason, I've really grown attached to that instrument. The LB75 is awesome, and also a great feel, but I've had it less, so I've "bonded" with my Ibanez more. Everything on my sh**ty little Ibanez is perfect; the action, the tone (for what it is), the weight, the shape and feel. I just don't know what it is?

Will the Carvin RL1015 really give me that much power though? Personally, I don't care if the rig is made by Fisher Price and is hot pink, as long as it sounds awesome and can withstand the usual abuse.

Obviously the price of Carvin is better, but head-to-head (no pun intended), is the Carvin worth the price difference? I definitely want a versatile rig that can give me a lot of power and different tone qualities, but mainly I'm looking for the Jamerson sound. That's the easiest way I can describe how I setup my sound.

4. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Jamerson was an Ampeg man in the studio. Live he used Kustoms.

5. billbassbuilder

billbassbuilder

Aug 30, 2000
    I own a Carvin Red Line R1000 head I run through 2 custom built 4X10 cabinets. I'd have to say the Carvin is really good for the price. That said, I was playing a gig last winter and another bassist in the club two doors down was playing a really cheap bass through an Ampeg SVTII and a 4X10 cab. I was very impressed, it's hard to beat Ampeg at thick lows and yet when he slapped it really cut through. All said I think Ampeg may be just more expensive.

6. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    The SVTII is OTHER Story man!! It is TUBE!! SVT3 is Tube/Solid State.
    They sound different.
    I happen to love Ampegs. (I would have a SVTII-Pro if I had the money... or the way to bring it to Ecuador. It is SO DAMN HEAVY!!!)

Lets look at it.
    1)1000 WATTS (Solid Sate power, Tube Preamp, Noise Gate, Compressor, Parametric EQ, Tone Shaper, Graphic EQ, Bi-amp crosover)
    1)RedLine 4x10 Cabinet
    1)Redline 1x15 Cabinet

VS.
    1)450Watts (Solid State, Multi tube Preamp/Drive Control, tone shaping, Graphic Eq.)
    1) Ampeg SVT410HE

I would go with Carvin in this specific Scenario.