1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg SVT4 and speakon plugs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BigMac5, May 10, 2006.

1. BigMac5

BigMac5

Nov 26, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    I want to make sure I am connecting the SVT4 to the 810E cab correctly. I got this from the Ampeg website:

Q7) When I use my SVT-4PRO mono-bridged the volume is not what I expected for a 1600 watt amplifier. What's wrong?

Check your Speakon plug, it should be wired for +1 (positive) and +2 (negative) on the amp end. The cabinet end should be wired in the standard fashion, which is +1 (positive) and -1 (negative). Be sure to depress the stereo/mono-bridge button

The SVT4 came with an cable that has a Speakon jack on one end and a 1/4" jack on the other end.

My question is how do I know if the speakon end is wired for " +1 (positive) and +2 (negative)"? Would my rig benefit from getting a cable with speakon jacks on both ends? Can speakon jacks be reconfigured for "+1 (positive) and +2 (negative)" or do you have to buy them like this?

2. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    The cable supplied is a mono cable.

Look closely at it and see if there is a plastic sleeve on the cable at one end that identifies it. It should say "Mono Bridged Speakon 1+/2+ to 1/4" T/S".

If you don't see that, it may not be the original cable, or else our cable supplier put a wrong one in the box.

3. BigMac5

BigMac5

Nov 26, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    I'll check that tonight, after work:meh:

4. BigMac5

BigMac5

Nov 26, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    Yes, it's the right cable. I was just wondering because I played an outdoor gig and was having volume problems. The Limiter light keep coming on and I had to lower the volume somewhat. I am running the SVT-4 with a SVT-810HE.

Since somentimes I need more volume would it be safe to get a SVT-1600 and run the 810 in stereo mode.