Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT4 and SVT 410 HLF rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Insomniac, Dec 14, 2002.

1. Anyone use this setup? I am looking into buying one. I will be playing a Fender P or J bass (depending on my christmas present) and a Yamaha rbx260. I am playing alternativs stuff mostly, Weezer, 311, Green day and a few Sublime covers. So, i get to slap, pop and solo everynow and then...but mostly a tone that will get through 2 guitars

2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Certainly great gear. Should perfectly fit your needs for the musical style you play.

But due to the huge power of the SVT-4PRO, I believe that a pair of SVT-410HLF's will be more appropriate than only one.

FWIW, there's an Artists page on the Ampeg website that should help you know what gear your favorite players use.

Hope this helps,

3. would a SVT 2 Pro work better? who out there uses this cab?

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    That is the rig that I am currently using. For smaller venues/stages, I use only one of the 410's, for larger stages and outdoor gigs, I use em both. I play about everything with mine--country, classic rock, funk, modern rock, etc. It works great in all settings. Great lows, cuts through very well on loud stages, plenty of power.

5. RoosterRusek

RoosterRusek

Dec 13, 2002
    Atlanta, Ga
    Hey,I just went shopping for a new rig since I blew up my Hartke 410 with my SVT4Pro. I did an A/B with my 4Pro and tried out an Ampeg 610 Classic against the 410 HLF. The Classic sounded much better, rounder, and of course louder. The 410 sounded really farty and when I did the comparison I actually asked my wife (who has a killer ear along with the bod) and she immediately pointed to the 610 Classsic. I'm going to pick up my 610 today.

6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I found that to my ears, the 410's sounded better. Just goes to show you that you need to try em out for yourself, because opinions here vary greatly.

7. If you are worried about power, go with an SVT 3pro. Works great with a single 4x10 or 6x10. I am using the SVT 4pro with 2 SWR Goliath 3 cab's. My 3pro runs a Peavey 4x10 cab for practice. But listen to your own ears and get what sounds best to you!
    Have fun driving the salespeople crazy!!!
    Chuck