1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT4 Pro – should I return it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 7thson, Jan 15, 2013.

1. 7thson

7thson

Jan 15, 2013
    Hi! Great forum here! I’d like to get your opinion on a situation that I’m in…

Last week I bought a new SVT4 Pro with an Ampeg 410HLF cab after finding one marked down at a local music store about $600 off of current retail (GC and MF prices). Each piece is basically at cost. The amp and cab are ‘new’ and have full factory warranty. The markdown is due to a few scratches here and there from in store use, and no boxes, manuals etc.… nothing I can’t live with.

I got the rig home and everything seemed fine. I downloaded the manual and read it. In the store, they had the cab plugged into the B channel with a ¼ speaker cable. Initially I cabled it the same way and everything worked ok.

I attempted to use the A channel and found a problem – when touching or moving the master volume knob it started cracking and popping, cutting out and booming back.

I ran up to GC and purchased a Speakon cable – tried it in both the A and B channels and got the same results with either cable – worked fine in the B , crackled and popped in A.

I contacted the store and they said they’d replace the amp because it was just the day after I bought it and I shouldn’t have to deal with sending it out for warranty work. I waited 6 days and called them to check the status. They said… well… because you bought that at cost we can’t order you a new one. Bring it in and we’ll get our tech to fix it.

I went from feeling great about getting a new head, in the box, at cost… to being mad/disappointed at now having to be without my expensive new gear for who knows how long… and… they waited a week to tell me. He offered to give me my money back… and I said to go ahead and try to fix it. But… I’m wondering if I shouldn’t back out now.

So… here’s what I’ve got – should I stick with this head that’s under factory warranty for 5 years, saving about $350 off the cost of a new one, but… it’s already been in the shop after 2 days home, is missing the Speakon cabled wired for bridged mode, is missing the feet on the bottom, and has a couple minor scratches.

Or – get my money back and get a new Pro3 for $100 less.

I have no plans to run additional cabs. Now that I understand the amp, I plan on running the 410HLF through bridged mode with the Pro4 (I’ll mod the Speakon cable I already bought and buy some feet).

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

You have factory warranty. If you like the head contact LOUD Tech (Ampeg). If their "tech" is not factory certified he has no business inside the amp. Selling "at cost" or not, you still bought a NEW amp.

3. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    +1. You need to call Loud Tech and have them direct you towards the nearest service center. I highly suspect GC is not authorized considering their application and interview process as well as habits of who they hire on the bench. Shame on you GC for being such tools as well.

Once you talk to loud tech if you don't like what you hear, you still have a possibility of returning that 4-pro and the 3-pro is a wonderful head. Mine 3-Pro was great, I just had to run the EQ volume slider up all the way to get the full watts and sound. I'd love to have it back right now..

4. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    The speakon cable is easy enough to do yourself. The speakon cable ends just need to be unscrewed – check the connectors since they are all NOT like this.

I suggest returning the head to start. Cut your losses now before more thigns happen to it. Were these display/demo pieces at GC? The 410hlf can go massively low and I would not trust Guitar Center customers to go easy on that cab. It could cause problems for you soon.

If you like the 3 PRO, research on Talkbass of the proper way to play that head. This is a specific way to get the maximum volume out of it. 3 PRO works wonderful with the 410hlf.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The specific way to get more out of it is easy enough...crank the gain hard and ignore the light...use your ears to determine when the gain distorts. If it's super high, so be it. I've had to crank one up to 3:00 before in a bass with not a lot of output.

As for your problem, could be as simple as replacing a tube. I'd talk to Ampeg before I did anything. Shame to lose out on a deal on a great amp just because a tube is fried, if that's the problem.

6. 7thson

7thson

Jan 15, 2013
    Thanks for the responses!

I didn’t buy it from GC. They had one on clearance for $1350… I bought this one from a small local music store in town for $1199. I’m in the Austin area (too bad Bass Emporium closed up).

They have some in house techs, but I think they also send out stuff too. I’ll see what they say when it comes back… and I’ll call LOUD tech and make a decision.

Thanks!

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021