Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT4-PRO head with Epifani 4x10 cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SummerSoft, Aug 8, 2005.

1. SummerSoft

SummerSoft

Jun 17, 2005
    So guys, what do you think about this combination?
    How would it sound?

Thanks

2. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Sounds great, and a killer rock tone with a bit of a modern edge to it. I had a 4-pro but I took it back cos I couldnt get the volume out of it.

btw, I thought the 4-pro sounded the best with a bergantino ht322. I have both a berg 322 and epi 410ul.

3. Well... I'm not sure about that. Just was talking with another TBer about the same thing. It might sound great... it just seems that it's kind of apples to oranges.. with the Epi being very modern, crisp and clean and the Ampeg being... well... Ampeg. I wouldn't have even posted, since I've never played that particular combo... but I have a feeling very few others have either... and I love the EpiUL series.

What kind of sound are you going for.... are you trying to 'clean the Ampeg up' a little bit, or are you trying to keep the Ampeg flavor and sound in a lighter cab. I guess more than any other combination that people have asked about on the site lately... I'd definately want to give that combo a trial run prior to purchase.

4. SummerSoft

SummerSoft

Jun 17, 2005
    No, in fact I'm trying to combinate a warm funky sound (like on Erykah Badu Live) with a clean and articulate Epifani sound.
    I guess these are the right words, since I'm not good in english :meh:
    Anyway, that's what I'd like to get..
    Or do you think there is some other way to get what I'm after?

Thanks

5. I love that CD... that's an MTD... that sound to me is about as far away from a classic Ampeg sound as you can get. However, the Ampeg/Epi combination might work very well for you... if you buy the 410UL and it doesn't sound like what you want.... dump the Ampeg! :D

PS I'm not really dumping on Ampeg... that classic SVT sound is amazing if that's your thing... but their recent hybrid amps have not impressed me at all... very muddy and not nearly as loud and punchy as the rated wattage would suggest.

6. SummerSoft

SummerSoft

Jun 17, 2005
    That's what I thought!
    But Hubert plays his MTD through an Ampeg SVT!!! :confused:

7. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    When you say SVT, first question is svt amps or cabs or both, and which svt amp? Many folks use 'svt' as shorthand for an all tube svt head. I found a huge difference between my old svt3pro and my all tube svt classic head, the classic is *much* cleaner and clearer. It's also capable of a much more open and cutting top end. In a way it reminds me of the sound a really good telecaster makes on the bridge pickup, glassy but not harsh (if you set it up for highs, and compared to an svt3pro). This is perhaps not what you'd expect, but it is my personal experience.

I'm the other TB'er that KJung mentioned, I'm thinking about an epifani 410UL to go with my classic, replacing a svt410hlf cab. I'm also hoping an ampeg head will combine well with the epi. After talking to KJ I thought I'd hook up my classic to some EV pa speakers, just as an experiment. They don't have bottom end but they are 'hifi' comared to my hlf cab. Hopefully it'll give me some insight into the ampeg/hifi combination.

8. A true 'SVT' is one thing... an Ampeg Hybrid is another!

Again, any rig that gives you the sound that you like is great. I love a classic all tube SVT rig... pretty hard not to like. I've played through the SVT pro 3's, 4's, 5's etc. and find them lacking IMO. However, if you own an Ampeg Hybrid that you like.... to hell with me :D That's what it's all about!

Also, .... any sound of a bass you hear in recordings or in a large concert situation has very, very little to due with the backline stage rig. You are most likely hearing the bass directly through the board in a recording or in a concert setting.