Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT4-Pro help! a gig tonight!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nickname, Apr 13, 2005.

1. nickname

nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    renting out a ampeg SVT4-Pro to test it out see if i like it. Althought im having problems getting it loud without limiting. The amp is 1600 wats at 4 ohms. my amp is a Mesa/Boogie Road ready (15", 12", 2x8") its a 400 wat cab and can either recieve a mono signal at 4ohms or 2 seprate inputs at 8ohms.

am i not hookinh this up right? has anyone used one of these? its a powerful amp but its not getting very loud before limiting.

2. You need to mono Bridge it to make it very loud...

3. nickname

nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    how do i do this

4. nickname

nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    and what is the difference betweena shielded cable and a speaker cable ... arent they both 1/4 jacks

5. Do not use a regular instrument cable instead of speaker cable - very bad idea.

If you want to know the reasons, do a search.

6. nickname

nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    how can i tell the difference.

7. UrbanIvy

UrbanIvy

Aug 1, 2004
    San Francisco
    I would say the easiest way to learn how to Mono Bridge it would be to:

1. Get a speakon cable

2. Download the owner's manual from the Ampeg site.

You really just need to make sure that the Mono setting is pushed in, but there are a ton of buttons on the back, so do yourself a favor and print out the manual.

They show an example of the Mono Bridged setting on the last page. I just printed it out today because I'm picking up a new amp and needed to see what kinds of dual settings were available.

8. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    This is probably too late for you, but......

If the limiting gets in the way, turn it off with the lower button just to the left of the master. ("Limit defeat" )

Also turn down "compression", which is the knob just to the right of the gain control.

9. nickname

nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    my cab does have the option to control the upper and lower speakers septratly. i read the manual and what i ended up doing was going from the bi amps into the appropriate power amp inputs and then out from mains to according high/low freq. now you said not to use a regular 1/4 for the cord. i had no choice but to use an instrument chord. sounded alright i did get a little louder but clarity and overall punch was dull.

this speakon cable. would it make a big difference to do that and into the 4 ohms. and would it be too much for my cab. the manual said u must make sure it can handle it. my cab is a 400watt cab. mesa boogie road ready.

and last.. should i even bother getting this amp or should i go with the mesa boogie 400+. so far its seemed to have kicked the **** out of this ampeg, but maybe im just not hooking the ampeg up properly.

how much do shielded1/4 cords run for? and how much for the speakon?

10. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    Before you get too complex with hooking up the Ampeg head, you really need to take a few minutes and understand what's happening.

First, just hook up your cabinet to one of the power amp outputs using a SPEAKER cable, NOT a shielded instrument cable. Speaker cable is of a larger gauge and is not shielded because it doesn't need to be. It carries rather high quantities of power (the output of your amplifier). Instrument cable carries low voltage, low current signal and is prone to interference from outside sources (power cables, speaker cables), so it must be shielded. It is not suited for the large signals involved with speaker cabinets.

Speaker cables run from around $10 for a standard 1/4" one and up for boutique cables. I suggest using Speakons, which are slightly more expensive but are much more suited to the high-power applications we're involved with. In addition, it'll never get mixed up with an instrument cable.

If you are running the head into only one cabinet at 4 ohms, you can run either one side of the amp into it full-range, or bridge the amp into it full-range. Biamping capabilities are good to experiment down the road when you've learned the equipment better, and unless you have one of the Mesa 1516 cabinets, you aren't likely to be able to biamp with a single cabinet.

For bridging the output, you must use Speakon cable that is wired specifically for Bridging (1+ and 2+ terminals on the amp end if I recall correctly, normal 1+, 1- on the cabinet end), and you must depress the bridging switch on the back of the amplifier. This allows for 1200 watt RMS output into 4 ohms. This would be okay into your cabinet if you were careful never to clip it and to listen for your cabinet telling you it's unhappy. You aren't likely to see much more than 1/3 of your power continuously anyway, given the dynamic nature of bass/instrument playing.

Even a single channel of the SVT will be plenty into your cabinet.

As for volume/sound, start with all of the EQ settings flat and the ultra-lo, ultra-hi, and bright switches out. Turn up the gain (with master volume at zero) until the red peak light flashes during high-intensity playing. Now, adjust the master volume as you like. If you want to use the EQ, particularily the graphic EQ, consider removing frequencies you *don't* want to hear, rather than adding what you do want to hear. The best way to eat up all of your amplifier's power, even the most powerful amplifiers will suffer from this, is to boost the super-low bass.

If you have any more questions, post them up. Be specific though. What kind of MEsa Road Ready cabinet is it? That sort of information really helps.

11. nickname

nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    it is the 1516

12. nickname

nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    Awsome! Thanks for your help guys! I went and picked up a speakon cable and went from the bridged mono out into the cab and it sounds splendid. much better! the guy at the music store couldnt understand why i wasnt just using a regular 1/4 plug. anyways, i have one more question. i dont quite understand the EQ enough, i've played with it and tried what you said to remove what i didnt want first, but i couldnt tell doing it that way. its still difficult to tell much change in it when im playing with it, but is there a site that would recommend or have some suggested settings for different sounds? Im looking to have full low/high range. i like to hear high tones as i pick my bass so i like to hear the ring, but not too much without loosing the low end that pushes it. if youve heard gatsby's american dream, thats the sound of bass im looking for. great highs but i still wanan feel the booming low. current i have it in a downward slant from the left to the right.

13. nickname

nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    sorryt one more question. if i want to get the maximum loudness out of it, should i keep the eq to the lower portion and boost the level of the eq or use the higher end of the eq and drop the level down?

thanks again guys! BIG HELP!

14. Generally speaking, you'll get more perceived volume via EQ by boosting the mids and cutting some of the uber-lows. I'm not sure if that's what you're asking or not.

15. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    set everything flat on the eq and adjust to suit!!..

i know that isn't much help but come on man!! you must be able to hear the difference in tone while playing with the eq, no?

with everything set flat, if you boost the bass up, it will get bassier... but, it might get muddy or a bit too bassy/boomy when really loud, so you might want to bump the mids rather than bumping the bass... this will allow you to hear yourself better in a band setting and not be overwhealmingly loud with the boosted bass... depending on your bass, cut or boost the treble for string presence, etc.

i dunnop, sorry i know that wasnt much help but really YOU need to play with YOUR bass and YOUR eq to make it sound like you want it to sound.

good luck with your gig tonight.

16. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    Glad to hear your problems are sorted out. I assume everything was set up correctly for bridging (the correct Speakon end at the amplifier and the Bridge button in on the back of the amplifier) if you're getting great sound from it.

The best bit of advice I can give you is to start flat, and take your time. Keep every knob at 12 o'clock and all of the graphic EQ sliders in the middle positions. Play it like that for awhile, and by that I mean a day or two. Decide what you like or don't like about the sound, then remove what you don't like. Gradual adjustments are best.

On the graphic EQ, using the volume slider is going to simply make it louder. I'm not sure what exactly the location of this gain stage is, but it's simply making everything louder/quieter. The individual sliders make their specific frequency bands louder. I would use the EQ volume to set it up as something like a 2nd channel. Use the graphic EQ to your liking for a 2nd tone, then set the volume relative to the non-EQ channel using that volume control.

The most important thing is to set up your EQ with your ears, not with your eyes. Set it up to sound good in your band setting, not to look like a reasonable EQ setting. What may happen is you leave everything flat - don't be afraid of this!

Hope it works out well for you.

17. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    One more thing, may sound stupid but if you are moving sliders on the graphic EQ and not hearing any sound make sure the graphic EQ button is in...the SVT has a bypassable EQ :)

18. nickname

nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    i do hear a difference I just have a hard time adjusting it and being satisfied with it. i can get it close to the sound i want but i know there is more i am missing out on somewhere. Is there perhaps a site that can help with even giving some presets i can start with for different tones. I read one post on here about getting the "mark hoppus" sound. it was efficient, but not quite the sound i wanted. but I realize that the way they were setting the eq was much different then I was, where they would have some frequencies all the way up and some all thge way down. where as i was trying to do a smooth motion. i like my high tones, as i pick my bass, but also need it to be boosting some lows.

I just got the Aphex Bass Exciter which helped with my tone a lot, but still there is something missing and I can't figure it out. there has got to be some rule of thumb that i don't know of.

any help would be good. it would be super awsome to be able to have some presets to try with the SVT4-Pro and then go from those accordingly.

19. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    i have the svt4 and is loud. Do the speakon stuff, crank the gain up to 1 oclock, and adjust the master. Try flat eq first athen start fine tune. Be carefull of the bridge config and the cab. 1200 into 400w is dangerous, if you crank it.
    thanks

20. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

yeah and let me reiterate....

make sure your speakon cable is wired right for bridged mode....otherwise you're not using half of your power section even in bridged mode. If your speakon works in stereo, its probably not wired for bridged mode.

I spent 4 years wondering why there wasn't a huge volume difference when I went from stereo to bridged.

I use to have both the svt4 and the 400+ and the volume was comparable.