Ampeg SVT4 PRO - need to figure out what to do.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Manuel53R, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Manuel53R

Manuel53R

Sep 14, 2017
    Houston, TX
    hello guys,

I've been reading posts from talkbass.com since I was just a kid and I've always found good advice here. This is the first time I post something because I need help to know what to do.

I've been thinking for a while in getting an SVT4 pro. Got an email from a renowned store with a sale, lots of item with very good prices, since they are moving to a smaller location. I saw they were selling a SVT4 pro, "brand new" in $999. Damn! I jumped on it. The pictures posted showed the amp out of the box with some dust on top, I asked about it and I was told the amp was on the store floor for at least 4 months and they assured me it was never played and it was "brand new", and will be covered by manufacturer's warranty.

I said "well, it's not that bad". On the listing said the amp was dated in 2015, which is not bad IMHO. Well, decided on it and pulled the trigger.

When got the amp, opened the box and started going through it all, I found out that the mono bridge cable was not in the box (it said on the manual it was included and on the amp itself as well). Contacted the store and they said that if the cable was not in the box, it was not included on the sale.

I contacted ampeg to know if I could purchase the cable from them, and they tell me they don't manufacture amps with mono bridge anymore. And getting in detail, they told me that the amp maybe 5 years old at least!! (Possibly not a 2015). Ampeg told me that since the amp I got to nowadays, that model have suffered some changes and they would considered my amp is not brand new as stated. At this point, I'm waiting from a feedback from ampeg to now exact date of my amp and if it still will be covered by the manufacturer's warranty in case I decide to keep it.

My question is: what you guys would do in my position? Should I return the amp and get my money back? Or keep this "brand new" old amp?.

Thank you so much in advance. I apologize for the lentgh of this post!.

Best regards.

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Out there!
    Return it immediately. Hopefully, you even have any return options from this store for this floor demo/used amp (don't believe for a nanosecond the amp was never played through).

The Terror, Goatrope and Manuel53R like this.
  3. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Ship it back

Manuel53R likes this.
  4. BasturdBlaster

BasturdBlaster

Feb 19, 2012
    Crandon WI
    The recent issue doesn't use a "special" cable for mono bridge use (i.e.-1+/2+ to 1+/1-) so I would be surprised if it comes with a cable...

Manuel53R likes this.
  5. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    As others have noted, the later models did not require a special mono-bridge cable. You can make your own Mono-bridge cable with a screwdriver and something to cut width. VERY EASY.

Return it - a demo model gets played and abused. If you wanted the warranty, I don't think you are going to get it at this point. Sounds like someone returned this head and they simply put it on the demo shelf since it was "not new".

Manuel53R likes this.
  6. Manuel53R

Manuel53R

Sep 14, 2017
    Houston, TX
    That's the point, it's not the recent issue.

7. Manuel53R

Manuel53R

Sep 14, 2017
    Houston, TX
    It's been a rollercaster. Got in contact with Ampeg and the amp was not 2 years old. IT WAS 9!!!!... Ampeg suggested to return it since it was indeed a demo model and was not covered by manufacturers warranty as told by supplier. I got back to supplier and I'm trying to get the amp back to them and the money back to me. This is for sure a learning experience: do not believe anything when you see a good price with a "brand new" tag on the side. Thank you guys for the feedbacks.

8. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Out there!
    Good luck, Manuel. Let us know the outcome.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    A 2015 4 Pro would have an H in the serial number somewhere, as that's the letter designation for 2015. It moves according to the different models, so I'm not sure which digit it would be, but the code goes:

A: 2008
    B: 2009

Etc. So H means 2015.

Either way, I'd probably keep it. Where else are you going to get a 4 Pro with a full warranty for a grand?

10. cardinal

cardinal

Jan 13, 2016
    ^ thing is Ampeg told him no warranty?

Jeff Scott likes this.
  11. If Ampeg would back the Warranty, I'd keep it. I consider demos as "lightly used", meaning they haven't been thrown in and out of a tour bus, and not run on '11' for hours under hot stage lights. In fact, a demo barely moves after it's been set up, and music store owners usually won't even let you blast it for a minute before they run over and tell you to turn it down. They practically shaved $500 off an "almost new" amp! Keep it if Ampeg will back the Warranty.

If Ampeg won't back the Warranty, then it's just a used amp with no Warranty. Same as a used SVT4 Pro you see any day on Reverb, and those go for about $700 shipped to your door, making the price about $300 too high.

Edit - just saw Ampeg won't back it. Return it.

12. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Here in Canada, you buy open box from the retailer, the warranty applies no matter how old the product is. As long as it never left the retailer the manufacturer has to provide warranty. Demo or returned... doesn't matter.

You telling us the USA doesn't provide the same protections to consumer gets on new products? That would be sad.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  13. Good point. Any attorney/bassists on the TB Forum that would like to weigh in?

14. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Ah. Here you are. Discontinued products. 90 days. Read. Ampeg : Support - Warranty Information

Although, is a product revision the same as discontinued? It likely all comes down to the model number. I also didn't read where it disqualifies "demo" items. A call to a consumer protection agency for assistance might be a next step.

15. Manuel53R

Manuel53R

Sep 14, 2017
    Houston, TX
    I'm waiting for a shipping label from the supplier to ship the amp back, it's been a slow process. I just want my money back!.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Apologies...for some reason, the "full warranty" part that the seller said stuck in my brain. So without a warranty, I wouldn't pay a grand. Might see if they'd give me a partial refund, though. At any rate, Manuel's made his decision to send it back and I respect that.

17. Manuel53R

Manuel53R

Sep 14, 2017
    Houston, TX
    Hello everyone.

Just wanted to give you an update: I got my money back. The takeaway from this experience is as follows:

1.- Good price + "bran new" tag = not good sometimes.
    2.- I'll check serial #s from now on.
    3.- I know now how to differentiate Ampeg amps from before and after October 2012.
    4.- Always check with manufacturer if their warranty covers equipment a year or more older than the present moment you are purchasing something.

This one a tricky one and it won't happen to em again, for sure.

Thank you for your inputs. It is greatly appreciated.

18. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Thank you so much for the recap. So often people post asking for help/advice and we never find out if the issue ever got resolved.

You are now an informed consumer, go get 'em!