Ampeg SVT4-PRO PROBLEM---------->

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thumpin4, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Thumpin4

Nov 6, 2002
    I have been playing through this amp for the past year or so. I love the tone of the amp but here's the problem. After I let the amp warm up I get a **** ton of static and the volume goes from a ear bleeding volume to almost nothing after I turn the mute button off to get ready to play. After this goes on for about 30 minutes the amp sounds fine. It does the same thing with both of my Stingray's and different instrument/cab cords. The only thing I haven't tried is a different speakon connector which I bought new with the amp. I know it's the amp because when it's warming up WITHOUT a bass plugged in, I hear the static noise as soon as I turn on the amp with the mute button on. I have let two different tech's check out the amp and both of them couldn't find anything wrong with it. So I have almost gave up on this amp. Do you think it would be worth my time and money to ship the amp to Ampeg and let there tech's take a look at it???

Thanks for everybody's info, Jody
  2. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Is it a screetching fuzzy noise like really bad distortion?

if it is I had/have the same problem with my B-2r... I suggest you clean the inner parts with computer cleaner. It seems to fix it for a few months.

Could it be a tube problem?
  3. eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    They may be more inclined to work on it, especially if it's still under warranty. Sounds like a tube problem to me. I like the idea of sending it to the manufacturer. They're not likely to gouge you on a repair cause it's their product that's malfunctioning. Call them to get the low down on getting it to them.
  4. Thumpin4

Nov 6, 2002
    It's a screetching fuzzy noise. Are you saying that you just spray contact cleaner on the parts on the board and that seems to fix your problems??? If it's all that it takes to fix my problem, I'm off to the trusty Radio Shack to get some good ol' contact cleaner... :hyper:
  5. Thumpin4

Nov 6, 2002
    It's not new, probably 2 to 4 yrs old and there's probably the warranty has ran out on the amp. Here's another thing, it ONLY starts giving me problems when the weather turns cold... :confused:
  6. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    I think Ampeg has a 5 year warranty.................hope you have your paperwork.

In any case, it is something warming up cures, which is usually some sort of loose/bad connection. Or, it might be something else that changes with temperature, like a bias problem.

techs that can't find problems that are THAT obvious are not very good, I wouldn't think..........but there are always some really "doggy" problems that are a real pain, so....maybe I won't push that point....of course *I* never had any trouble finding problems like that :rolleyes:
  7. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Warranty is 5 years from date of sale (in USA). All you need is the original sales receipt. In other countries, the importer sets the warranty policy.

If your unit is only 2 years old, you should be covered under the warranty (in USA), and service should not be a problem.

Ampeg service dept is at ph 1 800 738 7563 (USA), they will be happy to do the service or find you a local service center. You can get it serviced under warranty by any authorized service center with the same terms as if it were serviced at the factory service center.

No matter who does the work, always make sure to describe the problem clearly. What it does, when it does it, any special conditions (control settings, input, what speakers connected), and in your case, when it stops doing it.

That will greatly increase your chances of getting it fixed right the first time. Service folks can't check everything that could possibly happen.