1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT4 Pro (stereo and mono bridge question)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by IncX, May 12, 2011.

1. IncX

IncX

Jul 23, 2007
    Philippines
    OK, 2 years ago i bought an Ampeg SVT4 Pro online, i have never have had any experience with this amp, and i got it used because at that time, the guy was the only one willing to ship amps all the way to my country.

when i got the amp, i only had one speaker cab (a 2x12 hartke), so i used the mono-bridged setting described in the manual as:

the example shown below, the SVT-4 PRO’s two internal power amplifiers are bridged together to produce maximum output power.

Depress the Stereo/Mono Bridge switch (Mono Bridged position) and connect the system as follows:

1: Connect a heavy duty speaker cable terminated with a Speakon® connector (pin 1+ = “+”, pin 2+ = “–”) from the SVT-4 PRO’s Mono Bridge / Biamp
    Output jack to the input jack of a speaker cabinet capable of handling the extremely high output power.

-this setting is recommended for powering those 8x10 stacks

and everything worked.

i never messed with it because i was just happy to have my amp working.

somewhere along the way i thought running the amp like that just pumps in too much wattage for my 300 watt 2x12 hartke, so i decided to use "setting type 2 - Dual Mono" (eventhough i only have a single cab), described as:

In the example shown below, the SVT-4 PRO’s two internal power amplifiers will each power a set of full range cabinets.
    Set the Stereo/Mono Bridge switch OUT (Stereo position) and connect the system as follows:

1: Connect a speaker cable from the SVT-4 PRO’s Power Amp ASpeaker Output jack to the input jack(s) of a set of full range speakers.

2: Connect a speaker cable from the SVT-4 PRO’s Power Amp B Speaker Output jack to the input jack(s) of another set of full range speakers.

-this setting is recommended for powering two 4x10 cabs

now the thing is, no sound comes out of it. basically, when i switch on to "stereo" ... i hear no output regardless of what i do or what settings i try.

i use a speakon-1/4 mono cable to connect the amp from the cab.

since i havent seen another ampeg in my country, i do not know whether mine is broken.

i hope any of you can enlighten me...

thanks

(i tried the search function... i can't seem to find a post with my problem in it)

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    did you switch your speaker cable over to normal operation?

3. IncX

IncX

Jul 23, 2007
    Philippines
    the speaker cable over to normal operation?

well, i used the 1/4 end on the amp and the speakon to the amp, if that's what you meant

4. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Do you have a regular 1/4-1/4 cable to try?
    If you have your Speakon wired +1/+2 for bridged-mono use I don't think it'll work for stereo.

5. IncX

IncX

Jul 23, 2007
    Philippines
    lol problem solved. the amp is not broken

i feel really stupid now.

thank you so much for the help jim and rockstarbassist. i'm glad you guys are there to help forumers like me

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    no problem...that's why we get the big bucks ;)

7. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Nah don't be- I didn't get the +1/+2 Speakon thing for ages. :)

this :D