1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Ampeg SVT4 Pro Vs. Mesa Basis M2000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ryan L., Sep 4, 2004.

1. Tritone

Tritone Gold Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    hmmm...never heard a M-2000 described as underpowered, and I played one of mine through 410 XLT's for quite some time. Maybe you had a bad one?

2. Ncognito

Ncognito Inactive Commercial User

Jan 8, 2002
    Hoffman Estates, Illinois
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
    Sorry Tritone, I didn't have a bad one.

I've owned a M-2000, M-Pulse 600, and now a Big Block 750. All 3 are underpowered for MY uses into an 8 ohm Eden 410XLT. A 4 ohm Eden would be a different story, but no way enough juice into 8 ohms.

3. Tritone

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Just curious, are you bridging the SVT-4 Pro?

4. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    That explains why the M-2000 literature states that 4ohm is the recommended load.

5. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Yeah, that's the case with just about any SS amp. Matching the Ohmage is necessary to get the full power out of any amp. The M-2000 really cranks when used with the correct load.

6. Tritone

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Yep, it really kills at 4 ohms. I hardly ever ran it that way, just because I usually didn't (and still don't) need that much stage sound level. A 4x10 8 ohm cabinet did me fine 99% of the time. But I agree that for sheer volume, you gotta go with as much power as you can get. For outdoor festivals and such, I'd run it at 4 ohms with a Road Ready 2X10 and 4X10. No problems!

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I am running my 4 Pro bridged into my cabinet (I used to use two cabs, in my louder days :D )

But, my 4 ohm cabinet should be plenty loud with that head, I would think.

8. Tritone

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    I would think so too. I guess it all depends on what one considers "loud". To me, 600 watts into a 4x10 cabinet is plenty, and the amp responds very nicely to that load. It won't be as thundering as a bridged 1200 watt SVT-4, though, no matter what anybody considers loud! :D

9. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    The M-2000 is rated at 2000W peak power -- that's alot of dynamic headroom.

10. Dennis Kong

Dennis Kong Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2004
    San Mateo CA
    I agree with the other m2000 owners: the 4 ohm load is the
    way max the power of the amp. For the loud gigs I was using
    2 SWR 2-10 cabs at 8 ohms each to drop the load down to
    4 ohms. Then I sold them for a pair EA V110 cabs at 8 ohms
    each because the smaller size. ( I started using the upright bass some of the jazz gigs).
    And the last "really loud" gig I used both EA cabs
    was with Donny Baldwin (Jefferson Starship,Cold Blood,
    Jerry Garcia) ( now he's a great loud drummer!!) plus 2 guitars, and a keyboard player playing the usual blues
    standards. (no complaints from them for volume).
    Have you thought using 2 cabs with 8 ohm load?

11. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND

Yes, actually I have thought about going the 2 8 ohm cab route. I have been considering going with two 2x12's or 2x10's. I have always wanted to try 12's, so this might be my opportunity.

I am just having trouble wanting to get rid of my 'Peg. I want something different, yet, the Ampeg is doing everything I want it to right now.

So, what do I do??

12. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    I went with a one cab solution that is 4ohm to get the max power out of my bridged QSC PLX1602.

Had a Bergantino HT322 and just recently traded it in on a Schroeder 410. Both are great 'one-cab' solutions. I'm very happy with the sound from the 410.

I've heard really good things about the Berg mini-stack -- HT112 + EX112 (if you have the cash).

If you like a thicker sound on the low end, one Schroeder 1210 is an amazing little cab. You said you didn't need a whole lot of volume onstage, but this cab can get really loud with good power (also great tone). [All Schroeder cabs are 4ohm.]

13. Dennis Kong

Dennis Kong Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2004
    San Mateo CA
    Tuff question. Besides Lo- Freq 's 1 cab solution: I think you may have to think of trade offs: 10's vs 12's. or maybe 1 2-12 cab and 1 2-10 cab.(another solution.)
    For example: One my friends who doubles on upright & electric has 2 different single 10' cabs for his rig. He uses a Eden 550 amp with 1 EA cab and 1 Eden cab. Each cab has "different strengths & weakness. The EA has better mids & highs and the Eden has better lo's. So the solution for Him: was to combine the two. (he liked the EA for the upright
    and the Eden for the electric).
    (Ideally):You may want to try or borrow a pair either 2-10 cabs or 2-12 cabs to see if you like them first, or if possible borrow a Schorder or Berg cab too. (Lo -Freq's solution)
    thru Your Ampeg first before buying an M2000. It might solve
    your quest.
    The other factors:
    what kind of music you play: rock or fusion ,etc
    what kind of bass you own: 5 string or 4 string. active or passive "guts". makes a difference in headroom too -the bass output to amp.
    For example: my bass is a 5 string Graphic Guitars (Modulus spinoff) hollowbody with Bartolini TBNT?? with 18 volts.
    with active & passive switches. (lotsa output If needed).
    hope this helps.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021