Ampeg SVT400T Opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ndjx, Mar 29, 2003.

1. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    I have a chance to pick one of these up in excellent condition for real cheap. I won't be able to test it out until next week but can someone give me their experience with one of these heads? Thanks.
  2. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    I played one for about 3 years in a bar band.

By todays standards, it doesn't have huge amounts of power (dual 200w power amps at 4 ohms). If you are pushing a pair of cabinets it does fine however. I used both a pair of 2x10 boxes and a pair of 1x15's at different points and the 15's worked better.

It's kinda heavy.

The preamp is clean and it has lots of patch points. I never had a complaint about the quality of the line out.

I did burn out 2 cooling fans. They cost about $25 and took 5 minutes to replace; I think the vibration just killed them. You should be able to feel air movement out the left-hand side but you will probably not hear the fan running.

I enjoyed mine; I think the going rate used is about $350 for one.
  3. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Kind of an oddball IMO. 200 watts into 4ohm x2. but if you like the way it sounds grab it up. I prefer the SVT 200T. 350 watts into 4ohms and sounds great. these pop up on ebay from time to time for $300-$400
  4. shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    I use one as my main rig. As the others are saying, it's 200w x2 into 4 ohms each, but it's also bridgeable to be 400w into 8 ohms.

This is how I use it. My current (new) cab is an Avatar B410, and it sounds great. There are multiple patch points, effect loop, direct outs (balanced and unbalanced) etc. You can biamp with it, and the crossover freq is adustable. There's a built in compressor (that I don't use) and a built in limiter that you can defeat.

The 7 or 9 band eq (can't remember off the top of my head) is controllable with a foot switch. Any generic momentary switch will work. It's a little like having a switchable second channel.

The other tone contols are bass, semi parametric mid, and high.

There are pull switches for "ultrabass" and "ultra high." I use these sparingly.

In spite of all this, I usually leave everything flat, and I do most of my tone shaping with my hands, on board eq, and Sansamp BDDI (in that order).

The power has been more than adequate for gigs in smallish to medium clubs, and rehearsal.

I have fooled around with 2 8 ohm 4x10s. While these do not draw 100% of the power from both amps, the bottom end response was pretty impressive.

I like it. It is heavy, but it has been extraordinarily reliable for me. I bought mine used for about $400.