Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT400T

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by matstheboy, Nov 24, 2004.

1. matstheboy

matstheboy

Nov 24, 2004
    Hi,

I have just bought an Ampeg SVT400T head, I've tested this head with a mates old Laney 4x10 bass cab (im unsure of the impedance and wattage of the cab). Basically If i put the master above 4, the limiter and peak lights come on and after a minute or so the head will cut out.

Is this because the cab isnt up to the job? If so what cabs would you recommend for this head?

Cheers

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    That sounds very broken. It sounds like it is going into thermal shutdown; I'd check your cables first and see if there if a short. Then I'd look to see if the cooling fan is pushing air out the left side (as you look at the front); I had a couple of fans die.

I bought mine from a dealer who was using it as a hot-swap. A customer had a bad cable (shorted) that he assumed was OK, and fried his Hartke 3500. The store loaned him a Fender 400 which he promptly fried. Then they loaned him the SVT400T which would run awhile, get hot and shutdown, and then come back for more abuse until it got hot again feeding a dead short; I guess he played a show with one channel coming and going all night. I then used that amp for about 4 years.