1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg Svt410-he vs 410HLF

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Groovy_Gravy, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Groovy_Gravy

Groovy_Gravy

Apr 26, 2012
    I have dilema. What is the best option to go with.

Amp: 1970s Ampeg V4-B
    Current cab: Svt 115e Classic

I want a 410 cab. How does the HE sound on its own. I read that some people say its a bit thin on its own and I see that the HE is best paired with another cab. I have a svt115 that I could use with it.

OR

Should I get the 410HLF and just use that single cab? The potential problem I face here is that some people say that cab really has to have some power pushing it to really get the sound from it and my amp is only 100watts tube...

Suggestions, reviews, opinions, thoughts?

2. Do you like the sound of your 115?

If so add a second 115e.

3. Groovy_Gravy

Groovy_Gravy

Apr 26, 2012
    I dont want a 2x15 rig..i want a 410

4. Then sell the 1X15 and buy a 4X10

Just don't mix the two :scowl:

5. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    Long Island
    I owned the HLF. I found it to be way too bottomy for me. But moving from a 15, it may be what you're after.

As far as power goes, I found it to be one of the loudest cabs I've ever owned. Rivaled only by my Hydrive 410, and the Ampeg 610 I owned. It's a strong cab for sure. And would probably sound really nice paired together with your Ampeg tube.

Is there any way you could take your head and give the pair a test run first?

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The 410he and 410hlf are completely different sounding cabs. The 410he is voiced like the 810e, and while some people may not think it has enough low end, I think it has plenty and needs no other cabs except maybe a second one if you want to make spleens explode. The 410hlf has a HUGE low end, and you're right that cabs like that take more power to drive, though I might debate that a V4B would be enough for some. 100w may be enough for you with that cab, but it may not...only one way to find out.

7. Groovy_Gravy

Groovy_Gravy

Apr 26, 2012
    which ever way i go im not selling the 115

8. Groovy_Gravy

Groovy_Gravy

Apr 26, 2012
    theres no way for me to test, the 2 music stores near me do not have those cabs in stock..thres a used 410he on CL for 320 though. People say they sound nice with the 115. I will probably use it alone unless im at a larger gig or if it doesnt give me the lows i want... im still torn..its hard to make an informed decision without ever hearing them :/

9. +1

10. Get the cheaper non ported HE cab if you go through decent PA systems and have a powerful amp. use one cab because the sending the same power to the 410 that the 115 gets will not let you get to the "magic" hidden in the 10s without destroying the 15. You can set the 410 on top of the 115 to elevate it and it will soud better by itself then with both cabs on together. Ampeg cabs unlike some other makes sound better when they are louder provided your not distorting the horns (which are adjustable)

I've used the he,hlf, and an 810e. Put a mic on them and the mic signals you get are all very similar. Plus the 410s actualy fit in Iso boxes if you go to a studio that has them. Now what the mic doesn't pick up makes these cabs all sound different.

The ports on The hlf I think are more of a curse than a blessing. The additional low end only makes the cab more muddy so your bandmates will turn up louder because guitar players tend to adjust their volume completely on the Low end "boom" of the bass. On stage when you can hear the low end from the pa it becomes a complete mess with no clarity.

The 810e is hands down the best for huge stages. Pushed hard they come alive with more high end (then turned down) but not the unwanted highs (mainly fret noise) a horn would normally put out. The down side with them is obviously their size and wieght. They are easier to deal with if you have a band trailer but it sucks to have to pick them up. The other downside about the 810 is you can always elevate a 410 closer to your head (I put them on my rack) with the 810 you are stuck with the bottom half of the cab pushing sound around your knees which only makes the house rattle at practice. Live 20 feet from the cab you can hear all 8 speakers but at the practice spot 3 feet infront of the cab it's more likely your bandmates will hear to much bass and want to turn up till ears start bleeding or constantly ask you to turn down. And the 810 just doesn't have the same magic turned down.

The HE is basically the master of clarity. If the horn is a bit much you can turn it down. Turn it all the way down and it's got more of the 810s character to my ears but I do like some horn. The rest of your band won't try to play so loud because its not as boomy as the hlf or as loud on their side of the room as the 810. Plus I'd guess its about 15lbs lighter than the HLf and its smaller so its easier to put in car and just go. Being 8ohms you could add a second one and most amps would still be happy. The downside of the HE is I wish I could get this cab in 4 ohms. I haven't used multiple cabs in well over a decade. My complaint is because of the ohm resistance my amp works just about as hard pushing the HE as the 810. Feeling how warm the amp gets after a set kinda makes me wonder if the cab was 4 ohms would my amp not have to work as hard.

The downside to all the classic series ampeg cabs is the nice cosmetics don't hold up without road cases as well as steel grill cabs. Roadcases add even more weight and size.

11. The only way to mix driver sizes successfully in my opinion is to have separate power amps for each size driver. A stereo pa power amp with a decent bass preamp sounds pretty good. But for me after almost 20 years of playing bass I got used to the sound of ampeg 10s. I can hear my cab and know what my xlr out going to the PA sounds like even though my xlr has a more even and much bigger (especially lower) frequency range than the cabs

12. the HE and HLF are like comparing apples to oranges, totally different animals. The HE is a nice, tight, sealed design and the HLF is a ported low frequency monster. You should really play one before you make the plunge. Personally, I've owned the HLF and hated it with my old SVT. There is no way to tame the lowend or have much mid definition. Granted, I'm used to the 810 flatback sound and wanted a more portable solution, the HLF just wasn't it (soundwise or schlep-wise). Now I have a couple of SVT 210AV's and they provide the sound and portability I was looking for on smaller shows. Try before you buy!

13. Groovy_Gravy

Groovy_Gravy

Apr 26, 2012
    How do you figure? my amp is 100 watts.. the cab is 200watts rms and if i have a 410 also hooked up its going to now get 50 watts per cab.... no where even close to "destroying" the 115

14. The other problem with that mixed setup is that a 1X15 is closer to the output of a 2X10.

Even if you are not in danger of blowing the 15, your not getting anything near matched output from the pair.

Then there is the possiblity to uneven frequency response from the mixture, which could cause boom in some areas of the room and dead spots in other areas.

15. Neek

Neek

Nov 26, 2008
    South Florida
    I have the 410HLF, and I always find myself EQing the low end down. It's not a bad sounding cab, I just wouldn't run it through a flat EQ (personal opinion). I recently started to move away from using it simply because the HLF is big and heavy, two things I am not interested in dealing with after a four hour gig.

16. because I've owned them all and the ampeg 10s sound best pushed hard. Your Amp would push the 15 and the 8ohm 410 with the same amount of power so basically if your 410 was loud enough to get it sounding its best the 15 would have already exploded. It's not going to sound "right" if the 410 isn't getting atleast double the power because the ampeg 10s sound really scooped at low volume as you crank them up the frequencies between the speakers and the horn "fill in". As someone posted a 210 would work better balance wise because the real life power handing ability of the cabinets are closer. The hlf 410 which is 4 ohms would balance better with a 8 ohm 15 but running an ohm load below 4 ohms severely limits what amps you could use with those cabs in the future if you decide to change. To my knowledge the swr 750 will push an 2.667 ohms and pretty much the only bass amps in production that can power 2ohms safely are either tube amps or carvin stuff

17. And yes a hundred what tube amp can destroy a 200w cab try to think of cabs power rati g more along the lines of solid state amps. A 300w tube amp can push 2 810s with out problem. Try pushing those 2 810s with a 300 watt solid state head and it would be laughable

18. It's not the power handling, it is the acoustic output level.

That is also why saying a 4 ohm 4X10 would match better with an 8 ohm 1X15 is also wrong.

A 4X10 already kills a 1X15 in output. Why setup a situation where you then give 2/3 of your power to the 4X10 and only 1/3 to the 15.

Might as well just put the 4X10 on a stand, because that's about all the 1X15 would be good for.

19. Watts are watts

However, when pushed BEYOND clean output (up to 2X the rated power) tube amps add musical distortion whereas SS does not.

20. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    You can also look at the PF-410HLF which is different then the SVT HLF. The cab is smaller and has smaller rear ports so it shouldnt be so low tuned like the SVT version