1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AMPEG SVT410 HLF-do you own one?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by VermontMac, Sep 29, 2009.

1. VermontMac

VermontMac

Aug 1, 2009
    I'm selling my Hartke 410 VX and 115 for a new Ampeg SVT410 HLF. I"m looking for your input on this cab. Will be playing straight ahead Rock 80's to present day stuff, slappin' grooves at times. How does this amp sound in small clubs? How is it holding up? DO I NEED A 1X15 with this cab? Reviews I"ve read say no........but looking for fellow bass players here who can provide more input/reviews. I appreciate it. I"m powering the cab with an SWR 220 STUDIO HEAD. Rock on! Dan:bassist:

2. Doc Halo

Doc Halo Musician, heal thyself.

Oct 10, 2004
    Nashville, Tennessee
    I've got one. Great cab: it sounds like an Ampeg and it's built like a tank. You certainly wouldn't ever need to pair it with a 1x15--the 410 HLF has more than enough low end on its own. (Some folks find it too boomy, but IME you can eq out whatever lows you don't want.)

3. miholc

miholc

Aug 17, 2009
    Hey I own one too. Yeah lots of lows. I second what weary hobo said.. I had to 'eq' it. It can be 'boomy' and it's kinda dark... Built like tank and for its size relatively easy to handle/transport.

4. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Might be a bit underpowered with a 220 watt head.

5. dubstylee

dubstylee

Feb 9, 2007
    I have one, I really like it. It most definately pushes a major amount of low end, you would never need anything to else with it. I power mine with an old school Ampeg all-tube V4 amp, I love it, perfect amount of mids, highs and lows.

6. I went from the Hartke VX410 to a 410HLF and was really happy with the upgrade. The HLF is an excellent standalone cab and it can easily handle twice its rated 500w.

Personally I would not pair this cab with any other as it seems to serve a purpose on its own.

I think you'll be happy.

ps - The tolex covering does'nt last long.

7. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I also have one, and agree with everything that's been said thus far.... For reference, I also have a Mesa Powerhouse 610, so I know a quality cab when I see one...

- georgestrings

8. VermontMac

VermontMac

Aug 1, 2009
    Hey all,

Thanks for the responses! Greatly appreciated.

Dan

9. Handreas

Handreas

Nov 16, 2007
    Norway
    I used to play though a SVT-CL into two 410HLF cabs. INSANE sound and low end!
    I still remember the first time I cranked it up at rehearsal. The coffee maker slid right off the table at the other end of the room when I started playing. :D

Right now I'm only using one cab with an Ashdown EVO-III amp (500w), and I can still play more than loud enough.
    So yeah, there's plenty low end in this cab, but I have to disagree about it sounding dark. Even with the horn off, it still gives me lots of highs. :)

10. I don't own one, but use my friend's at our rehearsal space.

All I have to to say is someone at GK and someone at Ampeg (SLM) MEANT for the 700RBII to be paired with this cab! :bassist:

I run it EQ FLAT on my head with Boost at Noon and it's NEVER failed to provide great tone and VOLUME!

If my back could take it, I'd have bought one of my own! But it can't so I'm happy using my friend's...plus I never have to move it! :)

11. dubstylee

dubstylee

Feb 9, 2007
    I checked out that link, it sounds to me like those guy's opinions suit the style that they are into. If you like old-school tones, you can get there with this cab when EQ'd correctly. It is a looser sounding, and I wouldn't expect it at this point to sound as tight as a sealed cab.

12. I use mine in a huge church with 40 foot ceilings and 2/3 volume knocks dust from the ceiling!!! Huge low end, no 15 needed!

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    No it won't.

14. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Yep, I've had one...sounds great without a 1x15. But, it is a PITA to move! I'd rather move my Carvin 8x10 around than an SVT410 though.

15. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Agreed on all counts - I also run my 700rb-II flat with the Boost @ Noon, and it sounds great with my SVT410-HLF...

Of course, my tonal goals aren't the same as everyone else's - I go for alot of low end, without farting, enough mids to be heard - but not cut through too much, and highs enough to hear every note I play... I want to feel the bass, and be heard - but not so much that I'm no longer a support instrument... To each their own, though...

- georgestrings

16. VermontMac

VermontMac

Aug 1, 2009
    Great replies, Thanks!..........SVT 410 HLF Here I come!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    To get the volume I needed, I DID need mucho power. So, IMO 220 is too little. I used a Carvin B1500 to power the 2 I had, IIRC 1900 watts.

18. VermontMac

VermontMac

Aug 1, 2009
    I did try my 220 head through the cab and it was plenty loud for sure. :bassist:

19. midrangematti

midrangematti

May 28, 2009
    ive got the 4x10 HLF cab, mines the pro series one, i dunt think they make that one anymore, dunno why cuz itsa mint cab! will withstand plenty of knocks nd that! will also run fine at high levels constantly!

hope it serves you well squire!