1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg SVT410HLF vs SWR Goliath 4x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sgurd, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Ampeg SVT410HLF

46 vote(s)
    52.3%
  2. SWR Goliath 4x10

42 vote(s)
    47.7%
  1. sgurd

sgurd

Apr 7, 2006
    Ok,

A quick poll before I travel x amount of miles to check out some cabs...

As the sole cabinet, which one of these would you choose for playing rock music, Ampeg SVT410HLF or SWR Goliath 4x10? Why?

2. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    I have never liked anything from SWR and I've played one just about every chance I was able to. Ampeg is loud and has got the "traditional" rock tone. I'm more of a peavey guy myself. Peavey's can't seem to compete in the efficiency department though.

3. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Never tried the SWR, but the SVT410HLF sounds fantastic, especially for rock.

4. stevie p

stevie p

Apr 27, 2005
    I've always liked the ampeg tone, warm and friendly. The SWR seems to have that in your face 2x4 across the bridge of the nose bass hit. Both are very good cabs. ampeg for traditional rock and the swr for skull splitting metal.

5. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    I have not tried the Ampeg, but was very disapointed by the SWR for my taste. Way too bright, not very low, Sounds to me a slapping sound or 80's bright pop sound. I play 70's and modern rock and did not like it much.

6. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I've owned and extensively gigged with both and I prefer the sound of the SWR. The Ampeg sounds full and round, great for holding down the bottom in a blues/classic rock setting. The SWR to me sounds more focused and cuts through the mix better. I was able to get that "Ampeg sound" out of the SWR by eq'ing my amp, but I could never get that SWR focus and clarity out of the Ampeg regardless of eq settings. Also my 4ohm SWR is louder than my old 4ohm HLF, and it's not as heavy.

Theweeze916 likes this.
  7. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Since these are two of the few amps we can easily get down here I have had extensive experience with both, on large and small stages. Firstly, if you can , try them both - having said that IME the Goliath can sound like an Ampeg but not vice versa. Don't be afraid to cut out the tweeter entirely if you find the Goilath bright. Personally, I have never found it so but usually play with just a touch of tweeter. The Goliath is pretty well bullet proof(again IME), and I think they have a reputation for brightness from the 80s and early 90s when they were commonly used with SWR amps on a bright tone setting. I have used Goliaths with both Ampeg SVTs and Mesa 400+ and they love it. My .02

Theweeze916 likes this.
  8. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    sgurd,
    I used a SWR Goliath III for the last couple years and just made a change due to it's wieght, not it's sound. I really loved the sound of that cabinet but I just got tired of lugging it around when I needed to play outside of church. I've played through several Ampeg 4-10 cabinets but I couldn't tell you which model they were. They sounded good, maybe not as colored as the SWR (which can be good or bad depending on what you like). Of course, I wasn't using my bass or amp so it's really hard to say.

My advice would be to get the cabinet that you get the best deal on. Most 4-10 cabinets in that price range sound pretty close to one another (same basic construction, quality of speakers, horn and crossover). I really like the sound of a 4-10 cabinet and I think that you'll be happy with either one.:)

Theweeze916 likes this.
  9. throw_this_away

throw_this_away

Mar 30, 2006
    never tried the SWR, I played a 4x10HE (farted out too easy)... but a 4x10HLF calls to me in my sleep... one day...

10. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2005
    I use a small 12" SWR Workingman's which is great - I have played these two cabinets and The Ampeg is 'the' classic rock sound - round and fat. I am not in love with the 4 x 10 SWR which to me has that artificial middy sound - very unpleasing. For 4x10s i use my EDEN 4x10 XLT anda for funk gigs i use two Aguliar GS112s which are fast, clean cabs.

11. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I've never played a Goliath, but I loved the tone of the Ampeg 410HLF I played. It's pretty versatile, IME, everything from dub to cutting slap. good cab.

12. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Dude? you had to ask this?!?!

AMPEG!

Swr will sound thin, not have enough output for whatever watt head you get, unless you run 1000 watts.

AMPEG AMPEG AMPEG.

13. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    fixed it for you. :D

just trying to prevent some flaming.

14. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    Ampeg is colored with more bass frequencies, whereas the SWR seems more HiFi, to me at least.

Theweeze916 likes this.
  15. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I like SWR's defined sound. I prefer that "hifi" side of tone.

Theweeze916 likes this.