1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg SVT412HE vs. Ampeg SVT410HLF

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ROON, Aug 22, 2007.

1. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Hey people!

Been spending alot of time lately looking into Ampeg products and what-not. I thought the SVT410HLF would be the one I would get, but after going over around 30 or so reviews tonight I've noticed that nearly every one says that the tolex covering is very weak and prone to rip, the cloth grille is easily torn and often falls off, plus the little silver coner protecter things seem to come loose... Not a good wrap eh? :meh:

So I was looking through the Ampeg products tonight and saw the SVT412HE. Read the very few reviews that there are on the net and everyone seems to say that this thing is as solid as a brick wall, indestructable!!! Which is always good. ;) However I have heard the "attenuator" can make things sound clanky. I don't even know what an ettenuator is! And what is an "L-Pad"?

I only want a single-cab setup so the 410HLF is good (apparently has lots of low end). And the 412 would be good also, I mean, it's a 4x12!!! Low end to boot!!! As for my playing, I play a EB Stingray4, usually in BEAD or EADG tuning. The only effect I use is distortion, which I like quite alot and use moderatly. This cab will be run through an Ampeg SVT-3PRO. I play metal and hard rock.

What do you guys think? Which would be the best?

Cheers, :)

READ BEFORE REPLYING: It would be much appreciated if there are no comments telling me to go with a different brand, different Ampeg model suggestions are more than welcome, but I have researched long and hard and I have decided on Ampeg. Also unfortunatly I don't have the oppertunity to go test these cabs out. Thanks!

2. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    I can't comment on the 412 as I've never played one... but I'd bet the tolex, corners, and grills are exactly the same on both cabs.

I had a 410HLF when I was using and SVT-III (and later a SVP-Pro/power set up) and loved the cab. Big low end and plenty of clarity... but not too much.

The "attenuator" controls the level of the high frequency horn (which will also likely be the same on both cabs)... turning it up adds a lot of high frequency content. To me (and others) it sounds "clanky". You might dig it.

3. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Thanks newt, :)

I ordered my SVT-3PRO with the 410HLF today. I had a think and as you said, came to the conclusion that the tolex and grills would be exactly the same as any other Ampeg cab, so whatever! People always seem to say the 410HLF is the best cab Ampeg has to offer, so I should be quite happy with it.

The 412 still intrests me though! I wonder why you don't see them around that much.

4. I know you specified not to suggest any other brands but have you tried the Bergantino NV610 yet?

5. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    So the attenuator is just a fancy way of saying "tweeter", yeah?

6. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    Not exactly... "attenuator" would be the controls that vary the level of the tweeter... but I think that's probably what you meant. :smug:

7. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Yeah, that's what I was talking about. :smug:

I haven't unfortunately. It'd be nice to see what the hype is all about! I went all Ampeg because it is the tone I have loved ever since I started playing bass, I've always wanted an Ampeg rig. It's finally happening. :p

8. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    When I searching for a cab to downsize to, I checked both the 4X10HLF and the 4X12 HE.....Personally, (and this is just my opinion) but Ampeg was right in discontinuing the 4X12...for my taste, it just didn't "do it", but that's me....

As for the "indestructable" thing....the cabs are built identical. Same tolex, grill and the like.

I strongly urge you to check out the 6X10HLF (it's what I finally came 'round to). After trying out every combination that you can imagine I found the 6X10 and that did it for me...just a thought...

Good Luck!

9. Hey ROON.... I HAD the Exact SAME rig U R getting- Killer rig BTW. Sure the tolex can rip- but I never had ANY probs w/ the grill cloth OR the metal corners!!!!! IME I'd put a couple of SKID rails on the rear(like the 810 has) then U can slide the cab into backs of wagons etc easier. I used two 'recycled plastic garden stakes' from Bunnings Hardware-cut em to size & screwed 'em in. They work a treat!!!! They're solid plastic & are VERY easy to shape/smooth/countersink etc. They'll also protect the tolex HEAPS on the back of the cab-as when U have to go down a step or 2 or 20.... U just slide on the skid rails- dunno why they don't make em on this cab in 1st place!!!! If U don't - Kiss goodbye to a LOTTA tolex on the rear bottom!!!!!
    Great cab-built like a tank!! "L" Pad = level control for tweeter/horn. I kept mine at 1/4 or less-often off or almost off when I used distortion!!!!!
    Congrats on the rig. PM me yr thought on it after U get it if I can!
    Rod.

10. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Thanks for the reply!

I chose the 410HLF over the 412 based on reviews and what people have told me, I've heard nothing but good things about the 410, and almost nothing about the 412. Seems like the logical decision was to go with the 410. The Ampeg 6x10's do look very cool, although I can't say I have ever seen one in Australia! There are plenty of 410 and 810 Ampeg cabs around, don't see much of anything else though.

11. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Thank you Rod. :)

It does seem like it will be a pretty awesome rig! Not too bad for my first head/cab setup eh? :smug:

I'll let you know how I like it, it gets here on Monday. :D

12. A guy HAs a SVT610HLF in Launceston-who's on TB. Loves it. I've only heard re them-some say the 410HLF is THE cab. Tho some DO like the 610HLF & other say it aint as good as the 410. All I know is-the 410 HAS HEAPS of BALLS!!!!!!!
    W/ the SVT3PRO= killer RIG!!! should be Plenty loud enough. If U DO need more volume from the 3PRO Use the EQ level-keep EQ flat if U don't wanna use IT, but the level slider on the Graphic WILL give U LOTS more headroom if needed!

In reply to yr reply..... cool I'm sure you'll LOVE it!!!!!!! U got nice basses too BTW. I use a EB MM 'RAY 5. But as I had valve amps since I was 12 y.o. I've gone back to ALL tube amps- a Fender 300PRO & an Awesome Ampeg V4BH!!!!! Into a NV610..... for me= BLISS!!!!!!
    A feeling U R gonna get MONDAY!!!!!! Lucky guy!!! Congrats again!

13. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Gotta love Stingray's huh? :D I fell in love the second I picked one up. Stingray + Ampeg = BLISS (for me anyways :smug:).

I don't think my cat is going to be too happy, one of his favourite places to be is sitting on top of my combo amp next to my computer. He loves the rat-fur covering. He's gonna have to find a new place to sit while I'm at my computer now! Poor lil' guy. :p

14. bstringrandy

bstringrandy Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    +1 on the combination of SVT-3Pro and 410HLF! I use this same combination as my main gig rig and cover a wide range of genre's using a Spector NS-JH5 and a Geddy Lee Jazz with Audere P-amp and Dimarzio Model Js.

Congratulations and let us know how it works out!

Randy

15. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City

Personally, I think you made the right decision. Ampeg discontinued the 4X12 after one year. Seems as though there wasn't much interest in them......go figure!

The 6X10HLF is the same cab as the 4X10HLF but (obviously) bigger....it (IMO) is Ampegs biggest "surprise"....most guys head directly to the 8X10 and "bypass" the 6X10....cool....but when I tried the 6X10...I was hooked!!

Congrats on the cab!!

16. nickbear

nickbear

Jun 12, 2007
    surrey, uk
    i use an svt410hlf cab and its great.. but its only a standalone cab really due to the fact its 4 ohms.. i wish i had gone for an 8 ohm cab so i could add another cab to it.

17. Paulitics

Paulitics

Apr 12, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    My good friend has the exact setup that you are getting ROON. I think its great. The tolex and cloth grille does seem to be easily ripped. I noticed when he returned from his first tour with it the tolex was pealing off in a few places and the front grille cloth was a little ripped up. But in my opinion this isn't a huge deal, heavy bass cabs like this just take beatings if you are moving them around a lot and this stuff is gonna happen. His cab still works great and it is really only the superficial stuff that is showing wear not the actual structure of the cab which seems solid as a tank.

18. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Thanks for the kind words guys, I'll post a thread with some pictures and my thoughts on it when it arrives on Monday. :D

19. I don't think it really needs another cab-hence why the 4 ohm rating!! ;-)

Skid rails like I mentioned will save almost ALL rips in tolex & grill-hell U just be a BIT careful!

20. nls666

nls666

Jul 31, 2005
    The Netherlands
    I have the 412HE. It has been discontinued for some time now, but I think it's a great sounding cab, especially with my SVT-CL tube head...
    BUT... I think you made the right choice buying the 410HLF, because you often use the low BEAG tuning...
    The 412HE is a closed/sealed cabinet which sounds great, but when you play very loud and very low it has it's limits and you are better off with the lowend handling of the 410HLF...IMO