1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT450H > Crown XLS 602 > 2 Cabs ??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jamzcl, May 4, 2010.

1. jamzcl

jamzcl

Jul 21, 2004
    Des Moines, IA USA
    OK, first thing is I'm a total noob when it comes to power amps. I've seen some Crown XLS 602's new and used that are very affordable for what I'm looking to do. Here's what I have:

Ampeg SVT450H
    Ampeg SVT610HLF (600w - 4 ohms)
    Ampeg SVT808HE (600w - 4 ohms)

Looking for the Crown to run the 2 cabs as it says it can run 2 channels at 600w @ 4 ohms each.

The connections is where I'm pretty much clueless. Is it Pre-Amp 1/4" out from my SVT450H to the XLR in to the power amp and then just use both Speakons off the Crown to each cab in dual mono?

Also, is this power amp a good match for what I'm trying to accomplish?

Thanks for any help :D

2. jamzcl

jamzcl

Jul 21, 2004
    Des Moines, IA USA
    Is it that uncommon to run a traditional amp into a power amp?

3. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    The SVT 450H has an XLR out - make sure it is set to POST and make sure the -20db and 0db switch is set to 0db. You should plug an XLR from the 450H then the other XLR end into the Crown head. Should run just fine like that. You can run the 450H without a load (speaker) as long as you only transport a signal (XLR out) and NOT POWER (speaker cable) to the Crown power amp. Anything else?

4. jamzcl

jamzcl

Jul 21, 2004
    Des Moines, IA USA
    Thanks Gearhead :)

What if I'm also going to a PA? Wouldn't my XLR out on my 450H be the one that's used to go to the board instead of going to the power amp?

That's why I was thinking pre-amp out > Crown and then it leaves the 450H XLR free to go to the board.

....maybe I'm over-thinking it :meh:

5. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    In this situation, over-thinking is good. There might be a XLR out on the Crown Head. Or you can get one of these:
    http://www.radialeng.com/di-js2-js3.htm

Check the Crown Manual first and see what you have.

I have had mixed results with using 1/4" to XLR cables for the sound out of a bass head into a power amp. I am not sure if this is the best way to go. Hopefully someone will chime in with a better idea.

6. jamzcl

jamzcl

Jul 21, 2004
    Des Moines, IA USA
    Maybe the easy way to do it would be to go SVT450H XLR > Crown XLR then - and if I have PA support to just mic a cab. I'd hate to buy more stuff than I already have. I don't see an XLR out on the Crown, just 2 XLR ins and 2 Speakons.

Don't guys with pre-amp/power amp setups just have 1 XLR on the back of their pre-amp like my head? Wouldn't they normally use the pre-amp out to the power amp?

My original plan was to have 2 full head/cabs (lot of outdoor gigs this Summer) and just use my Radial A/B box to run both, but now I don't want to buy another head cause I can get this Crown for about $200 new and have the full 600 watts per cab if I get the right wiring.

7. jamzcl

jamzcl

Jul 21, 2004
    Des Moines, IA USA
    I just got an email reply from a Crown tech to run a "Y" XLR from the amp head to each channel of the amp.

So I guess if for some of these gigs I have PA support the soundguys will have to just mic a cab instead of using my XLR to the board.