1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT450H or racked Sans Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sgfender85, Mar 4, 2008.

1. sgfender85

sgfender85

Sep 10, 2005
    I just got my hands on an original 70's Ampeg SVT 810 cab. Now I need something to power the fridge. Id love to find a 70's SVT head but that will be way to pricey for me. I want a pro set up without completely breaking the bank.My band is close to the point to be gigging and I want to have my rig ready when the time comes. We will be playing medium sized gigs with PA support (wont need it with the big rig!). The Ampeg SVT450H will look nice on top of my classic cab. I think it would make good tones, should have enough power for what Ill need and it is not extremely exspensive. But then on the other hand Im considering building a rack with Sans Amp RBI or RPM, Samson SX1200 power amp, furman power conditioner, and fender rack mount tuner. Im not exactly sure which power amp to get, I dont know how much power Id really have to run into the cab. I know the old ampeg heads were 300 watts of tube power, so would more just be overkill? Smaller the better since it will be cheaper and less chance of blowing up any drivers. Im leaning towards the Sans Amp rack but what would you do in my situation?

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

My #1 gig cab is the Bergantino NV610, which is similar enough to the Ampeg 8x10.

My #1 gig rig is a rack containing a SansAmp RBI, SansAmp RPM, and power amp. It definitely gets the SVT vibe, and weighs a LOT less than a tube head: the entire rack is less than 40 pounds.

I like both RBI and RPM, but if you're looking for the SVT vibe I would recommend the RBI.

3. sgfender85

sgfender85

Sep 10, 2005
    Thanks for recommending the rbi fuzzbass, Im pretty sure Im going with the sans amp rack. The main thing I need to know is how much power Ill need for my 70's Ampeg SVT 810. We will be doing small to medium sized gigs with PA support. I want to get an amp that can put out just enough power to match the cabinets capabilities.

4. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    70's Ampeg cabs were rated at 250w RMS. However, people have told me that it's a conservative estimate and they can handle more. Still, I'd keep it in the 300w ballpark.

5. sgfender85

sgfender85

Sep 10, 2005
    thanks rob, you just saved me money by buying a smaller amp and no risk of blowing it up my cab. I was just under the impression these mosters could handle up to 1000 watts, but i guess there not like the new ones. When testing out my cab to buy it, the guy only had this crappy 200 watt PA mixer and the cab was REAL loud at 200 watts so up to 300 sounds right. I cant wait till my rack is built to see what the rig sounds like! Then after that I want to ditch my OLP for a music man... but that will take some time.

6. luvpbass

luvpbass

Sep 18, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I've got the Sansamp RBI racked with a furman power strip and a Crown XLS 402. Sansamp has a lot of flexibility and different tone available. The crown has a lot of clean power and great customer services -- a knob shaft bent while it slid in my van while unracked and they sent me a prepaid shipping carton and fixed it at no charge even though it was clearly my fault. I use only one side of the amp with an Ampeg 4x10 for rehearsal and smaller gigs, and run it bridged mono with a 1x15 added for larger shows.
    I wouldn't worry that about having too much power, it will give you nice headroom headroom. you should run the amp full out and turn up the master volume on the RBI as needed. Just don't turn everything to "11" and you will be OK.

7. The whole 'watts' issue can get pretty sticky sometimes, but IMHO that cab was meant to handle 250 all tube watts. I would feel better have closer to 400-500 solid state watts going into it, as it will mean more head room for when you dig in. What you don't want is a low wattage solid state that you crank until the point of power amp clipping, which could be bad for those speakers.

Just my $0.02.

8. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    This gets exposed as a myth at least once a week. First off, watts are watts, and there is no difference between SS watts and tube watts. Tubes can just be cranked louder past the point of distortion and not have audible distortion. Second, the only thing that blows speakers is pushing them past their limits, not clipping from a low power amp. And even if it did, a 200 or 300 watt amp is not going to cause a 300w rated cabinet to blow because it's too low power.

9. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    Rob, please forgive me if I come off like a prick, but by your logic, I could plug a 300 watt tube amp into a 112 rated for 300W and not have to worry about blowing the speaker no matter what?

I vote for the Sansamp rack.

10. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    I think you misread my post. Here's what I said:

"a 200 or 300 watt amp is not going to cause a 300w rated cabinet to blow because it's too low power."

What I meant was the other poster was talking about underpowering cabs and pushing the amp into clipping, claiming it would blow the speakers. I said a 200 or 300w SS amp wouldn't cause a 300w speaker to blow by being underpowered, not because there wasn't enough power to blow it.

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

As Rob Mancini explained, this is an oft-repeated urban legend, and absolutely NOT true. Low wattage clipping is not harmful to woofers, whether the amp is tube or solid state.

12. sgfender85

sgfender85

Sep 10, 2005
    Well I think the Crown XLS 202 is the amp that will work best for me. I will be able to run it either at 300W @ 4 ohm on 1 channel or bridged 600W at 4 ohm. Other cheaper amps dont bridge into 4 ohms and they dont have enough power per channel, so this seems like this is best bet. Id love to save money on my power amp but its better to get it right the first time.

13. Guys I am definitely NOT trying to propagate the "underpowering" myth! Just the opposite. I'm totally aware of the arguments, and I agree.

What I was TRYING to say was, don't worry about matching up the wattage of the cab and head perfectly. Get an amp with the headroom and volume that you need, you won't blow the speakers if you use it responsibly.

I think we can agree, though, that pushing a poorly rated 100 or even 200 SS amp to the absolute limit and into square wave clipping would be bad for your speakers! That was all I was trying to avoid.

In other words, I guess I was saying, you will probably want more than 250W to be loud enough.