ampeg svt450h

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by origami, Jul 26, 2005.

1. origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    i used to own the ampeg SVT350h head (paired with svt210 and 115). a cool looking rig (should of got the 410 instead of the 210).

it was okay, very underpowered for what i needed. fan was deafening. it sounded good not great, and gave that illusion from a distance of having the classic head (at least to non-bassists).

i sold the ampeg head and 210 cab when i bought my gk 1001-rb-II and gk 15's.

i see they've discontinued the 350h and gone with the (new and improved?) 450h, but its not on the ampeg site.

i still have my svt115 cab, and it would be nice to have an all ampeg rig for practice.

so anyone out there try one the new 450 heads? how do you think that would compare to the v-b4h?
  2. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    Hmm, with a few more features, you could get the SVT3-Pro somewhere on evilBay or otherwise used for around that price.
  3. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    well, do you want tubes or solid state?

i'm sure the 450h sounds like the 350h but with another 100watts (and ampeg solid state watts at that, big whoop).
    I'd think you'd be better picking up a v4b just to have some variety, you've probably already got a killer rig in the GK, pick up a v4 just to get a different palette to work with.
  4. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I've got a V4B, and it BLOWS AWAY my B2R, which is 350Watts (Ampeg Solidstate, of course). It's also a smidge of an improvement over my QSC power amp which gives me 450Watts.

You can get a Vintage V4 or V4B for about $400-$600... possibly it would need tubes. I got lucky and mine didnt, even though it was only $300. Then again, my guitar player got a V4, and it DEFINATELY needs power tubes. So... for a similar investment you could land 100 tube watts, and I'm sure you'd have a more satisfying tone.
  5. My SVT is only 300 watts, not 350, and i never have a problem being loud enough :smug:
  6. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA

::Chokes on all the sarcasm::