Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT4PRO ADVICE

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bennito, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Bennito

Bennito

Sep 12, 2004
    Toronto, ON
    So I need your advice.

I just had an offer to buy a used svt4-pro head. It's the old one (the red and blue face) but it's in great looking condition. I haven't heard it yet, and of course, will make no decisions until I do.

It has lived it's life in a modified SKB case, that it comes with. So, if everything looks and sounds fine, how much would you say it's worth?

Have there been many significant changes between the older version 4pro and the newer?

Also, what do you think of it? What cabs does it work best with? I'm looking to get a clean Victor Wooten/Oteil Burbridge type sound, so I thought this was a good place to start.

Any answers and advice would be greatly valued.

Thanks!

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I can't comment on the differences (if any) other than cosmetic between the two. I have the newer looking model, and have had great luck with it.

I used to run mine into 2 SVT410HLF cabinets, but since I no longer need to move that much air, I am running it mono bridged into just one of the cabs. I have had great results with these cabs and head together.

If you are looking for a clean sound, it'll do it, to a point. It does the ballsier Ampeg sound better, of course, but it can be eq'd to sound pretty clean.

Well, it's getting late and I am tired. Sorry if I wasn't much help.

3. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    Red and blue?

Do you mean the little checkmark that they used to have? I remember that, but no "red", like big areas of red on the front face of it....

4. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I really like the sound of the 4-pro. I tried it through a lot of cabs but to my surprise the bergantino 322 / 4-pro combo was great! I thought it was going to pair with the svt cabs or even the berg nv610 the best but I love the match with the 322.

5. Bennito

Bennito

Sep 12, 2004
    Toronto, ON
    Yeah, just the "SVT4-PRO" was written in blue and red.