1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT4Pro + Ampeg SVT410HLF + DBX 166XL

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by j0n0j0n0, Jul 18, 2007.

1. I currently use a Hartke 2500 Bass Head and a Hartke 410TP cab and im pickin up my DBX 166XL in a couple of days. I'm interested in buying a new rig consisting of a SVT4Pro and my dbx 166xl and a SVT410HLF. I play Heavy rock through to Metal and a bit of funk from time to time. What do you think of that. My bass is a lakland 55-01 Skyline.

Thanks

2. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    I think this is in the wrong forum

3. Hey man, I use the 166xl in my rig I think its a good compressor, love too hear your thoughts. I know this sounds a bit silly but why do we (bass players) use compression again? I use it really subtle, subtle to the point that I had to ask that question. Maybe I've become to accustomed to it.

4. paulorr

paulorr

Apr 5, 2007
    I have that rig (minus the 166XL) and it is awesome. I thing the 4Pro is the best of that series. You might think of two cabs in the future instead of just one.

5. tlwaps

tlwaps

Feb 13, 2006
    Ohio
    I'd say get the SVT810E if you can. I use the DBX 160A compressor and it's great and yes i'm begining to question whether or not I actually need a compressor or not.

6. jsamans

jsamans

Mar 11, 2007
    Fall City, WA
    I use an SVT 4 Pro with an Ampeg PR-410 H and a Mesa/Boogie Powerhouse 4x10. The SVT 4 Pro has built-in compression, adjustable via a knob on the front panel. I don't really use it.

7. buy a 2 pro, I have a 4 pro, and up until recently I have never stopped thinking about changing it to either an SVT -VR an SVT - CL or an SVT2 - PRO.

Get the 2 pro.

8. The 4 pro has a built in compressor, but to be honest, I think you are better off using the DBX... especially if you are using it in overeasy mode to smooth out dynamics and add a bit of punch... it'll also help tighten up a bit of the notorious muddy ampeg bottom end you are likely to hear after you've been playing the hartke

9. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    +1

Won't spread any rumors, but the 2-Pro holds its value MUCH better than the 4-Pro.

4-Pro is constantly wanting to be traded and sold.

10. bassbeard

bassbeard

Jul 18, 2007
    akron, ohio
    i bought the SVT-4 pro over the 2 pro and for a few weeks i was regretting the choice. I was running mono bridged into an ampeg 810-E cab and just couldn't find the tone i was looking for, not to mention the bottom end was just a tad muddy. granted, it sounded better than anything i had ever heard or played through, but there was something in me that wasn't totally satisfied for the money i had spent.

then, by chance, i came across a used 810HPC for $500 and decided to give that a shot.
    the 810-E handles 800w program/1600w peak
    the 810HPC handles 1500w program/3000w peak

with the gain at 60% and the master at 40%, standing in front of this rig feels like you're being punched in the stomach.
    thunderous crystal clear lows and crisp highs.
    also, i have noticed that i can dial in the classic tone of the 2 pro or SVT-CL, but i can also get some more aggressive sounds out of this thing (without the use of processors or pedals) than the others are capable of. Also, keep in mind that the SVT-4 pro has two power amps. You can run two mono channels, true stereo, mono bridged, or bi amped with adjustable crossover frequency and level control. I'm already starting to have fantasies about adding an 18 to this beastly rig...

11. jsamans

jsamans

Mar 11, 2007
    Fall City, WA
    Yeah, I agree bassbeard. The 4 Pro is extremely versatile. I came to mine after playing an Ampeg V4 for about 15 years. So it was a huge change and took quite a bit of getting used to. Once I got it properly dialed in, and got to know it's nuances and quirks (which took a month, easy), I love it.

No tube maintenance or reliability issues, PLENTY of power, and the ability to not only nail the classic V4 and SVT tones, but a ton of other tones too. And you can get a pretty good replica of the SVT tone at a reasonable volume too (unlike a vintage SVT which needs stadium level volumes to hit the sweet spot). Is it the exact same tone? Nope -- but throw in a drummer, keys and a couple of guitar players and I think most people would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

To me, the SVT 4 Pro is all about versatility. Would I turn down a vintage SVT or an SVT-CL or VR? Probably not. But for the most part I am completely happy with the 4 Pro.

12. I like the SVT4pro sound that it gets, but i also understand we're you guys are coming from for the svt2pro. Could i get almost the same tone as a svt2pro with a svt-cl pre amp on a vt4.

13. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    I biamp my SVT4-PRO into a SVT610HLF & 2 SVT15E's...it is LOUD!

14. TaylorW

TaylorW

Feb 9, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    I want to see a picture of that!

15. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    The patch cords for biamping (just followed the manual) or the front?

16. TaylorW

TaylorW

Feb 9, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    No I meant just a picture of your rig!

17. ryfen

ryfen

Jul 20, 2007
    Guys, no matter what style u play go for tubes... i just got my SVT-VR head and SVT810AV and guys i tell u... i'm in heaven.. the sound that u all been looking for.. i play, rock, pop, funk, fusion... the warmth it gives is just the best thing i've ever heard.. i compared it to the Classic, and i mean, the classic is a wonderful amp. but there is something with the VR that makes is so good. and cant really put my finger on it, but its just there. when u hear it u will know what i'm talking about.

It cost me S*** loads of money and i will break my back many times, but in the end, it'll all be worth it.

I played the small ampeg B100r combo before, i mean it was great for small gigs and everything but the second i plugged into my VR everyting changed.. boys i tell u, keep it simple...

Get the VR!