1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT4Pro mono-bridged into SVT410HE

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zandar, Feb 20, 2008.

1. zandar

zandar

Jul 8, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Hiya,

I'm running my SVT4Pro mono-bridged (1200 watts/900 continuous at 8ohm) into a new SVT410HE cab, which handles 500 watts continuous. How loud can I turn up the amp before I risk damaging the cab? I did some searching here and found mention of the cab "farting out" if I pushed too much power through it...but how much is too much? Right now I'm not turning up past about 5.

2. torkelboy

torkelboy

Feb 24, 2008
    You'll hear when your amp is pushing the cab beyond limits!
    Stay on the safe side and use the inbuilt limiter!

How much your cab will be able to withstand is due to the settings on your head!

where your master volumeknob will be depends on what bass you've got (active/passive). And ofcourse your gain setting.

3. Isn't that cab 8 ohms????????

4. torkelboy

torkelboy

Feb 24, 2008
    The SVT410he is an 8ohm cab, correct!
    But the svt4pro is to put out 900w when monobridged through an 8ohm cab!

As Zandar wrote "I'm running my SVT4Pro mono-bridged (1200 watts/900 continuous at 8ohm) into a new SVT410HE cab"

5. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    I wouldn't worry. The specs of this head are extremely overrated. SVT-4's 1200 watts are more like 300 real watts that most of other amps put out.

6. zandar

zandar

Jul 8, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Cool thanks everyone. It doesn't sound like I'm close to causing problems but I'm relatively new to Ampeg and wanted to make sure that I don't make an expensive mistake.

I agree, the SVT4Pro doesn't "feel" as loud as its power rating, and for the weight I almost might as well be lugging around an all-tube head. Then again, I'll probably never be completely happy as long as there are amps I haven't owned yet...

7. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Most accurate statement ever made on TB :bassist:

8. torkelboy

torkelboy

Feb 24, 2008
    what is this? This is a serious statement you should only make based on a reliable source, and since you did'nt mention one, i'd take it you don't have one!

It's confusing, wrong and plain stupid to make such a conclusion.

9. This statement is ridiculous, Watts and volume aren't even related so maybe at 1200w an svt-4 is as loud as another brand-x 300w head but it still is pumping that power into the cab so the danger is still there.

For the OP, I wouldn't worry too much, you could blow up the cab if you run everything on then and give the biggest hit you can on the E string but I'm sure you won't do that :D You'll hear it when the cab is farting, you'll loose definition and it'll start sounding real bad. I had an svt-4 and ran it through an 4 ohm 610 that was rated at 600w for 2 years playing in a pretty loud band.

10. olaff421

olaff421

Sep 29, 2006
    Murfreesboro TN
    Are you using the correct cable for mono bridging? I know it's a speakon cable, but it has to be a four connecter tip wired right. My SVT-5 is quiet for the claimed wattage it puts out. I can't wait to get the Ampeg monkey off my back. I already got rid of the cab I had, just need the money for a different (better IMO) brand.

11. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Bullcrap, obviously either you never played one, or when you did, you didn't hook it up right....... or possibly you compared it to a tube SVT (gotta say that, so many "SVT models).

But the statement is just about right for a person who for instance plugged in an 8 ohm cabinet but didn't do the bridging right........ instead of 900, you'd get about 300 from one channel.....

12. +1 I A/B'd it with the Fender 300PRO & they're BOTH LOUD as HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    BUT the SVT4PRO has to be set up with correct Speakon wiring!