1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg SVT4pro Vs Markbass SD1200

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Deadtobi, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Deadtobi

Deadtobi

Mar 21, 2013
    Hey dudes,
    My name is tobi, i Play in a melbourne based death/thrash metal band called Sewercide. I have long been scouting this websites and using its great resources, i figured it was time to make an account. i have an svt4, i love the sound i can get off it, but what i dont love is having to lug it around on public transport it weighs like almost 20 kgs!!.. SO my question is Does the markbass sd1200 stand up to the ampeg svt4pro's tone? because there no contest for the markbass in terms of weight.

2. The Markbass is loud and clean, cleaner than the SVT4 but IMO their tones are equally good, just slightly ifferent

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Have not played the SD1200 but I've played many other Markbass amps including the SD800. Good sounding amp, but I've yet to hear any micro that truly matches what a lead sled can do, especially one with a big honking power transformer like the 4 Pro has. This is not a knock on Markbass or the micro format because I actually like some micros and own a couple, but there is a reason many folks hang onto the lead sleds. So I wouldn't sell first then buy.

4. styro

styro

Dec 22, 2011
    Sorry the SD1200 is no match for your SVT4Pro. No f-ing way!
    Not in terms of power, not in terms of versatility/flexibility, no nothing at all.

I understand your pain, but no way.

The only lightweight amp I found viable in terms of sound and headroom is the Glockenklang Blue Soul, but that'll cost you a fortune!

5. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods!

The SVT-4Pro is my lighter amp. Try lugging around an SVT-2, and you will be happier with the 4.

6. Bass 45

Bass 45 Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    I recommend an Ampeg SVP-Pro (they are discontinued - but there is always one on Ebay) with a class D power amp. I use mine with a Carvin HD1500. The two together weigh about 15 pounds and can put out 1500 watts with 5 preamp tubes (instead of three) for tone shaping.

I used an SVT-4 for about five years and it was an awesome head - but I wanted to cut weight when used in my Ampeg SVR215 combo cab (pictured with my SVT-2 installed: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=255832&d=1331440644).

7. JP Morin

JP Morin

Mar 15, 2011
    Quebec
    Have you tried an SVT7-Pro ??

8. I blatantly disagree, the SD1200 is definitely a match for the SVT 4 in terms of power and volume. In terms of flexability, maybe the graphic eq of the 4pro gives it an advantage...
    The SD1200 is actually an easier and more straight forward amp to operate, that may be an advantage or a disadvantage, your call

They do have a different inherent tone though, so that will be your deciding factor IMO