Ampeg SVT6 vs Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 600

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by philzbass, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Has anyone played ampegs svt6 and liked it? I keep hearing all these negative coments and am wondering why. I played a couple of these and thought the sound was pretty good, granted not traditional ampeg but good. Kinda reminds me of a m-pulse 600 with less features. Now I've probably said too much right there, but I thought the overall sound was similar. They both seem to have that so called "hi-fi" kinda sound, which I personally like. The first time I plugged into a m-pulse I thought it was the greatest thing ever, so many options for tone shaping. Ampeg claims the svt6 is turning out 1,100 watts at 4 ohms, which I think is questionable,(doesn't seem all that powerful). I've been searching for a new amp for months now and these are the two I keep coming back to. If anyone has any advise as far as which is a better bang for the buck, and why, please respond. :confused:
  2. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I think if you put Ampeg vs anything on the board it's likely to loose.
    They are both good companies and both good amps. I like Ampeg but I'm not going to bash Mesa. In my opinion Ampeg does overrate their output. But I think you'll have to go w/ what your gut tells you.

I know this is not on the list but if you want a LOUD hybrid, check out an Eden WT1205.
  3. theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    I've heard that the SVT6 is just a more powerful SVT 3. When I bought my m pulse I tried it against the SVT 3 and I was very disapointed with the SVT. I had heard alot of good things about ampeg but it just wasnt for me.Thats said that is soley my opinion.There are others who will disagree. I wouldn't call the m-pulse hi fi at all in fact I would call it quite a dirty gritty amp. At low volumes playing on your own it can give a very smooth creamy tone but once you get to gigging volume it starts to drive a bit. Granted my speaker cab is absolute crap (after buying one of thses new its hard to get the moulagh together for decent cabs) The SVT is known for its ampeg growl and that wouldn't suggest hi fi to me either. Maybe we have different opinions on what hi fi actually sounds like

If you like hi fi I would make sure that you crank both of these amps to quite a high level. Up to what you think might be gigging volume and then a bit more (because things seem louder when your playing on your own) I think that the mesa should be best run with a full stack 4x10 and 1x15 or 2 4x10 to get the most out of it and to leave yourself a bit of head room.Im actualley using my peavey max 160 and 2x10 cab in conjunction with the m-pulse and gallien krueger cab(I know I know what a crazy assortment of gear) I slave into the peaveys power amp section. So it means I'm running 460 watts and 2x10+1x15 but I foundthis extra little bit helped me out a good bit. All this should be remedied when I get a full stack and run the m-pulse at the full 600W (bye bye peavey!) When I'm gigging I've also noticed that to get more volume out of it the second parametic control (low mid) seems to me to act more like a second volume control than an eq feature. Couple this with some compression and you can get this thing to run a quite good level.

The first eq section on its own tends not to give much volume it would probably give a bit mroe if the bass control was boosted a bit but you dont really want too much in a live situation or things could get muddy. I haven't really tested that theory yet tho because I only get to play it at gigs and have found a setting I like and more or less stick to it.

Thats just my opinions on how to get the most from the m-pulse which you might try while your testing it.

I've just looked at your question again and all I've written seems a bit irrelevant but I've type it now so its staying
  4. theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    I've seen a couple of people say ampeg doesn't hold much weight one this forum but loads of people have seem to have ampeg stuff and alot of people like the sounds ampeg offer from what I've observed
  5. Larzon

Jan 15, 2005
    SVT-6 is not hi-fi sounding. I would say more tube-like sounding. Ampeg tone.
    You can get a clean or dirty (growly) sound out of it.

6. I have to confess, I don't really know what a "hi-fi" sound is. I just heard both the svt6 and m-pulse 600 refered to that way. If anyone wants to elaborate. What is hi-fi?

by the way, do you like the svt6?

I played on a couple and liked them, are they worth the money?

I thought the parametric eq gave a little different tone than a typical ampeg.
  7. Larzon

Jan 15, 2005
    "hi-fi" sound is typically total clean sounding solid state amps (no tube) like EBS, SWR, Gallien-Krueger. They sound nice at home when playing by yourself, but has a tendency to be lost in a band setting (not cut through the mix).
    SVT-6 is not one of these above mention amps. SVT-6 is a hybrid amp, 6 tubes in the preamp and mosfet poweramp. In my opinion the SVT-6 definitely have the Ampeg tone, and when playing in a band setting you can hear the bass. I really like my SVT-6, and it's surprising to me that so few people talking about the SVT-6 here on talkbass.
    Worth the money? Yes it is. Relatively speaking it's a low price Ampeg head comparatively to the all tube Ampegs.
    I really like the SVT CL and SVT-II as well, but that's another story.
    I've never tried the M-Pulse.
  8. Nice to hear something positive about the svt6, and from someone who owns one! I've heard a couple bad reviews and didn't really understand why. I thought it had a real nice sound.

Thanx for the info

I'll keep the 6 in mind
  9. tomfouts

Jan 4, 2006
    Boston, MA
    I have heard really good things about the M-Pulse, so i would look more into that.
  10. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I thought hi-fi meant bright in bass speak. I didn't know that SWRs and GKs get lost in a live mix.

I have an SVT 4Pro. When I connect a 410 and a 115 to it for 4 ohms, I can believe Ampeg's ratings.
  11. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    See, this is the problem with terms like that. I always thought of hi-fi as being very transparent and cutting through very well in a live mix. For instance, I would consider my Avalon U5 hi-fi and as my sole preamp I cut through incredibly well through the dense mix of my metal band.

Terms, slang, nomenclature, etc. seems to be different for every person. This seems to hold true even in cases where there's a clear-cut definition, haha.