Ampeg SVT610HLF

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BJMtz, Nov 1, 2015.

1. BJMtz

BJMtz Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2010
    Columbus, OH
    Hopefully this thread may help someone in the future who's considering this cab. I scoured TB for anything I could find on it and it all helped.

Just picked up the 610 to go with my SVT 7 Pro. I had a really hard time deciding between one big cab or 2 smaller and more modular cabs. Based on sound I went with the right choice but after already gigging with it once and loading it in and out of my SUV multiple times, the weight kind of does suck. Once it's out the wheels make it easy to move, maybe even easier than the 410 I had before. Speaking of 410, this thing outperforms my last cab (PF410HLF) by a mile. Of course in volume, but also in build quality. This seems like a very sturdy cab and there's 0 rattling when I play at volume, unlike the PF. I miss the diamond tolex and easy to remove grille but the SVT looks nice too. I'm thinking I want to get a silver grille, similar to the AVs.

It doesn't have the low end that the SVT410HLF did when I tried that out in the store. If I understand correctly it's because only the bottom two speakers on the 610 are ported, whereas all 4 speakers on the 410 are ported. I was able to get a nice midrange that cut through and then on some songs like Badfish and Say It Ain't So I rolled back on the mids and boosted the bass to get nice deep sounds. Definitely couldn't do that with my last cab, it would have sounded like it was falling apart. I also didn't realize it until after the gig but I had the tweeter off the entire time. I always ran it all the way up with the old cab but with the 610 I didn't even need. I will be trying it out next time with the band though.

Overall I'm happy with the cab. It's heavy but the volume and tone makes up for it. It's a keeper and maybe one of these days I'll go to smaller cabs but right now I'm fine with the heavy lifting.

34D5D579-07DE-40DF-88E5-9F0043AC8D67_zpslbn2djrq.jpg E6C46F15-CE42-422F-90CF-AFA37CC39A26_zpssbrz21vw.jpg

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  2. Love mine! Run them with either an Ampeg PF500 or a Peavey VIII Series XP.

It helps to have a pickup with a covered bed and the extended cab options.... LOL

BJMtz likes this.
  3. The Regulator

The Regulator

Aug 10, 2005
    13 years ago I used to own a 410HLF and got rid of it because of the uncontrollable excessive low end. I thought that the 610HLF would sound very similar to it so I stayed away from them for a while. This changed when I played through one at a friends rehearsal space. They are actually good sounding cabs. They sound more like my favorite the 810E than the 410HLF. BTW all of the speakers on the 610HLF are ported.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Agreed 100% with the Regulator.

rickwebb and BJMtz like this.
  5. bassguppy

bassguppy

Jan 8, 2003
    Queens
    I had the 610HLF for a VERY short time (2 weeks). It did sound good but alas it was just too bulky and heavy for my transportation at the time.

6. BJMtz

BJMtz Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2010
    Columbus, OH
    SVT610HLFpanel-f3432cbb4dadf38fc7fd89458f432722.jpg

Are there ports in the dividers between the speakers or is that just bracing?

Houseman72 likes this.
  7. BJMtz

BJMtz Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2010
    Columbus, OH
    I feel you, luckily it slides right into the back of my Mercury Mariner and leaves enough space for the rest of my gear. But getting it in and out of the car is not the most fun thing to do. I lay a blanket down but I feel like I'm bruising up the cab every time it goes in and out. If I could have gotten the same volume and thump out of 2 112s I would have went that way but no substitute for speaker area I guess.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Ports. Each divider has two holes in it that allows air flow out and it all gets fed to the ports on the bottom.

The dopey audio nerd saying is "no replacement for displacement," but that is exactly right. It's pure and simple physics. Not to say that small cabs can't sound great, but even the very best small cabs sound better when you double up on them.

EASonBass likes this.
  9. The Regulator

The Regulator

Aug 10, 2005
    Upside down

IMG_0430.jpg

Houseman72 and DevinWard369 like this.
  10. BJMtz

BJMtz Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2010
    Columbus, OH
    Cool good to know. Why is the low end not as prominent on the 610 then like it is with the 410?

Faceman75 likes this.
  11. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Scandinavia
    ^ different port design tunning.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    And speakers and box size, too.

Gearhead17 likes this.
  13. higain617

higain617

Sep 12, 2013
    WA
    They are great cabs. I have been wanting a 610HLF for a long time, but am not sure I could transport it.

14. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Drunken Sailor Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    Sweet looking rig.

*spies on the pedal board* Polytune, Bass Big Muff, Aguilar TLC, Sansamp?

15. BJMtz

BJMtz Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2010
    Columbus, OH
    Exactly right. I need to get rid of the muff and get an OD. Depending on how my build of the Build Your Own Clone booster goes I may build their OD. The muff sucks though I should just take it off.

16. Bassmann79

Bassmann79 Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2015
    My only complaint with the SVT-610HLF or even the 810's is the tolex..cheap crap that will rip and come off like its nothing. I had my 610HLF and had a tear in it within the time it took to load it brand new out of the box at the store to transporting it home. And before you ask, I am not rough on my gear but any slight bump will cause tears. I also need to glue it back on in some spots as it seems to simply strip off

Does that effect the sound? Why hell no but still would like to see them use a tougher cover. Would like to try the Berg 610

rickwebb and Bigbri like this.
  17. BJMtz

BJMtz Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2010
    Columbus, OH
    Haha yea I have loaded mine in and out of my car twice now and the tolex has already has been marked up and there's a slight tear. I'm really careful with my stuff too but it's just so heavy and awkward to get into my car that I feel like it's not going to look new for very long.

18. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    I almost got a 610. I like them. Once i knew for sure the 810 would fit on my band's trailer, i had to go with the fridge however.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Funny, but I have a BA108 and a BA112 v2 with the same tolex, and both have had their share of bangs and bruises, and none of them are torn. But if it's tearing, maybe you might want to consider a cover?

20. jamzcl

jamzcl

Jul 21, 2004
    Des Moines, IA USA
    An Ampeg padded cover is well worth the $60-$80 if you care about the looks of your cab like I do.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2022