1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg SVT7 pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JeffplaysBass, Jan 21, 2012.

1. JeffplaysBass

JeffplaysBass Banned

Jan 22, 2011
    Mass
    Anyone got any opinions on the Ampeg SVT7 pro...thanks In advance!!!

2. bassguy72

bassguy72

Sep 7, 2011
    Yes I've got one myself .....it is a killer amp.....for it not being an all tube svt it has got the mojo

3. Deepwoods

Deepwoods

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis
    I am liking mine alot so far. I've had it only 2 weeks and not gigged yet. Good customer service from Ampeg, they UPS'd me a new rack ear because one was cross threaded and the screw broke off inside. I'm coming from an Eden and find the Ampeg easier to dial in my sound with the mid selector. Nice thick sound.

4. lfbassguy

lfbassguy

Jul 4, 2010
    west texas
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland
    Excellent amp!! Really has that ampeg "sound". Very loud too. I've been running mine through an 8x10 for a few months now and just really pleased.

5. onegunguitar

onegunguitar

Jul 1, 2010
    I tried one out a few months ago,it wasn't bad but IMO it didn't sound as good to my ears as my Mesa M6. To me it didn't have the clarity and punch that I'm used to hearing. Not saying it was horrible or anything,just not quite what I thought it would be. I also believe the M6 was way louder at 600 watts than the 7 Pro was at 1000.

6. I've used my 7 pro at approx 25 gigs so far & am enjoying it immensely!
    Big, thick tone, very reminiscent of my old SVT IINP.
    Has a nice overdrive too if you crank the gain.
    There are other threads re.... Some have had a cutting out problem, but afaik, as long as you get a 'rev-C' model, all's well.
    I've a rev-C & I've had zero issues.
    Sounds great into whichever cab I've tried it with too, unlike some 'tube'-like class D amps.
    I've used it into 210, 410,212,412,610 & 810 cabs all with wicked results. Love it!

7. pedulla1

pedulla1

May 14, 2005
    NYC
    My thoughts exactly regarding Eden vs Ampeg. With my Navigator I had a tough time cutting through but with my AVP-Pro it was a breeze - cutting through while maintaing thick warm tone. I have the SVT-7 Pro and am loving it!

8. SBrown

SBrown

Dec 5, 2008
    Auburn, CA
    It weighs 15 lbs and sounds like an SVT II. Whats not to like? Seriously though, I want to add to the positive feedback. I bought a rev. C knowing full well the history of the first run of amps, because I believe in the new direction of the company. The products Ampeg is putting out now, IMHO, are the best in years. I have tried to make my SVT 7pro shut down and I cant. It has been a great, light, loud, reliable gigging amp. BTW, it sounds wonderful at lower volume gigs too. The "ultra low" button on this amp is sweet.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If it wasn't 1000w, I'd own one by now. Best sounding hybrid amp I've ever played.

10. Jheake

Jheake

Jan 21, 2010
    Gilbert az
    The only way i can get the amp to go into protect (Rev C00)for me is if there is another cable plugged into the cab from another head. I usually play through an 810E for rehearsals and i have a Mesa 400+ on top of the head and if i leave that plugged in to the 1/4 inch jack it will "cut out". Thats the only way i have gotten that amp to do that though. I normally use speakon connectors, and one day I didnt disconnect the 1/4 from the mesa and it was cutting out.

I had one of the first ones and it went into protect just from a heavy load. That 1k watts is very legit though. It will make an 810 cringe at very loud settings.

Its a great amp you wont be disappointed. if you love the Ampeg tone and want a lighter alternative to carrying around a heavy all tube head, this amp gets scary close in terms of tone to its heavy counterparts. The ultra low on this particular amp is very good as well.

11. pedulla1

pedulla1

May 14, 2005
    NYC
    In terms of this amp sounding close to an all tube head, I noodled around on a CL with an 810 SVT cab in guitar center a few weeks ago. I know it was low volume but my impression was "what's the big deal?" lol. I felt like my SVT-7 Pro and 2 210 GK Neo cab sounded just as thick and punchy and warm! Like I said it was GC volume and I could not push the rig. I used a P-bass by the way.

12. It's really just when you get an all tube SVT on the brink of power tube overdrive that these shine brighter than the 7 pro (or any other non tube amp) really.
    Other than that, the 7 does it all imo

13. rummy

rummy

Apr 17, 2006
    Lombard, IL
    It sounds like a tube amp, and reliability on mine has been solid.

14. markorbit

markorbit

Apr 16, 2004
    I'm considering a 7 Pro and I know the following is a contentious subject... How loud is the fan on these? I found that the PF series' fan bothers me when noodling and doing low volume acoustic gigs / recording with live overheads. I just don't like so blatently contributing to the background noise. Are they pretty much the same and on full whack all the time?

And skewing the thread slightly... why aren't there any decent demos of the 8 Pro? I really would like to hear that power amp emulation thing.

15. Slapstyle

Slapstyle

Dec 3, 2009
    Maine
    I was hoping so much to fall in love with the amp. I drove 2 hours to the nearest guitar center, spending $100 in gas just to test drive it. Based on reviews here, I just knew I was going to love it. I sat down, plugged in my thumb through an ampeg 8x10 and the svt 7 and I nearly cried. I didn't sound bad, for sure, but it was nothing like I had hoped for. To me, it didn't have that gooey ampeg sound, and not much for the tube sound either. I was shocked because so many people on this forum absolutely love the amp, but to me it was nothing like my old svt 6, which I parted ways with long ago due to the 60 lb weight. It was a monster to carry around but man did it sound good. For about the same money and with a tube pre, I tested out the Markbass 800 tube and was pretty impressed. It has a nice sounding high pass (*edit: Meant Low Pass)that can give you the fat hairy svt CL sound, and it can do nice punchy modern tones really well too. I decided not to pull the trigger though, and stick with my GB shuttle 6.0 for now, and GK mb500 for backup. I'm not really TRUELY happy with either of those, but I think that's my perpetual GAS. The markbass was nice though, and I tried a Mesa M6 that was REALLY nice sounding. Also a Mesa walkabout, which is good for that fat round tone, kinda classic rock and reggaeish to my ears, but for straight up rock and fusion and more modern stuff I really liked the M6, but it weighs way more than the other heads so I didn't buy it either. I was so disapointed that I didn't LOVE the ampeg, that it took all the wind out of my sails, and I just couldn't bring myself to do anything.

So, take it for what it's worth. Just a test drive at guitar center, not a gigging experience, and I don't own it.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Had you done the SVT first, instead of "What's the big deal?" you would be saying, "How come other amps can't sound like that?"

:D

17. The fan on the SVT7 is not dead silent. When you turn the amp on you do hear it but I would not call it loud. Sort of like a low level background noise when not playing. It doesn't bother me at all.

If planning on using for recording with a mic just put the head and the cab in separate rooms, problem solved.

18. markorbit

markorbit

Apr 16, 2004
    It's more of a filmed live studio performance thing, not really studio tracking. I'd rather just use a different amp in this scenario than have an amp head out of reach.

I did a little research and the fan is identical - YM1206PTB1. My (ex) PF500 was a problem.

I guess I'll have to wait for a gloriously silent Heritage B15.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    That's craziness. SVT's have way louder fans than the 7 Pro or PF500, and the number of times I've ever heard the fan on a live recording is 0.

20. SwansonEricJohn

SwansonEricJohn Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Denver
    I'm just waking up from last night's gig (midnight to 4AM!) which was my first using a 7Pro. Played through two 2x10 Pro Neo cabinets and shook the room. There was no reason to even be plugged into the PA.

FYI get the Rev C000 model. Mine said Rev A on the box, but C on the top of the amp. You'll have to open the package to check.